Collapse
17 results in 0.0064 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• MontanaMan
    replied to Welding galvanized steel ..
    This would be a fairly short weld ... one linear weld about 65 inches long.

What is the milk for?
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• MontanaMan
    started a topic Welding galvanized steel ..

Welding galvanized steel ..

What precautions do you have to take? Is it good enough to do it outdoors while wearing a 2-cartridge respirator and using a fan to disperse the fumes?

I'm talking about flux wire-welding fairly thin steel ... about 0.09" thick.

Thanks!!
    See more | Go to post

• MontanaMan
    replied to Bench Grinder Stand
    Here is a sequence of photos showing how to daisy-chain webbing ... it will work the same with power cords. They shake out beautifully with no kinks or twists.

http://www.montanasoft.com/daisychain/daisychain.php
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• MontanaMan
    replied to welding an air tank?
    Hi ... thanks for the input ... why would a coating on the inside require more filtering? You'd think it would, if anything, keep the inside cleaner (less rust)....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• MontanaMan
    Yeah ... I called a welding supplier and they said the largest they can get are some 4-foot by 7-inch scrap bottles for $15.00. Those are still pretty small by compressor standards, so I'm thinking that ganging the free freon tanks together might be a better option.

If I do go with...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• MontanaMan
    yeah ... I'm definitely not going to try to weld an air tank ... that was just a bad idea all around. A few days ago, I found those same pics you linked to and didn't like the look of it at all!!

Notice that they mentioned that the drain valve was removed and the outlet was plugged up....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• MontanaMan
    Ok ... that was a bad idea ... my apologies :-)
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• MontanaMan
    started a topic welding an air tank?

welding an air tank?

Hey ... this probably sounds like a dumb idea, but I was thinking of welding an air tank out of 1/8" steel.

That would be much thicker than store-bought tanks, and I would even be able to treat the inside with rust-prevention compound -- like the rust-proofing they use on cars....
    See more | Go to post

• MontanaMan
    replied to Welding Cast Iron?
    Well ... that's the prettiest looking ring I've seen in a long time ... :-)

Thanks Bob, and let me know if there is ever anything I can do for you.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• MontanaMan
    Thanks for the input ... I think you guys are right about the water tanks. I've been doing more research, and there have been a lot of accidents with "unknown" tanks. First, I was thinking of using a Wel-Xtrol 60-gallon water tank, which is rated at 125 psi, then I thought an older, thicker...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• MontanaMan
    This isn't strictly about welding, but since you guys are so cool, I thought you might be interested in some other projects I have going:

This Drill press is a cheapo 15" chinese model I got second hand for cheap. I has some quill slop, so I'm going to cut a slit halfway up the...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• MontanaMan
    Wow ... thanks for the offer ... this forum is really amazing. You know ... I used to have a cheapo Montgomery Wards 50-amp stick welder about 15 years ago, but that is 2500 miles away in my parent's garage back east. :-)

But thanks anyway for the offer ......
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• MontanaMan
    Thank you for your help.

Hey ... I just want to say thanks very much for the help, and I'm sorry I didn't check back here in the last few days ... I've been chasing my tail 16 hrs/day. I hope this doesn't create the impression I wasn't appreciative, because I think it's really fantastic...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• MontanaMan
    Thanks for answering. No ... unfortunately, I don't have a lathe. That's a drill press table, and the collar is off of the drill press. If you are making one, would you be willing to make two while you are at it? I can weld the tabs myself. I can send you the specs for my piece. And I'll be happy...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• MontanaMan
    Another possibility ... I also have an Oxy-Acetyline torch. Would it be better to braze the joint? If so, would you recommend bronze or silver brazing rod?

Thanks for your help.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X