Collapse
18 results in 0.0056 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Bentrod
    replied to Loader Bucket Repair Question
    Another farm trick is to just use 7018 as a surfacing rod. It is not hard I know, but adding on layers means you wear off layers before getting to the steel and so it ultimately lasts longer. I do this with plow parts since they wear out so fast on the rocky ground we have here.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Bentrod
    replied to type of weld
    If you look at the weld, you can actually see at least six spots of lack of fusion on the outer edges of the weld where it has not properly fused into the base metal. Will it hold? Probably, depending on what it is for, but its not a super strong weld per se.

What you are really looking...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Bentrod
    replied to type of weld
    Stringers are stronger.

Possible cold lapping, lack of fusion, slag/silica entrapment, voids, re-entrant angle, and roll are just some of the reasons we can not use weaves of any kind at the shipyard where I work. Even on pulse-down beads that meet criteria, the rule book specifically states...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Bentrod
    I understand all that, I have welded my share of buckets too, but in my tractor's case anyway, Kubota did not put much effort into longevity...just a strip of sharpened mild steel flat bar down the front edge and welded it on.

I'm not questioning your advice for most buckets, I am just...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Bentrod
    I have a compact Kubota and while it has been a nice tractor, the bucket is just what it says it is; a general purpose bucket. I am not sure what brand the original post has for a machine, but mine contains no hardened material and has experienced similar issues of breakage to what he describes....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I do not think they are required. A Miller Representative could tell you better, but I believe they are already built into the machine and the mounting frame. Considering the hundreds I have seen mounted on trucks and trailers over the years, I have not seen anyone further isolate it via extra anti-vibration...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Bentrod
    replied to Sources for hardware
    Tractor supply...it might sound like a funny reply but you can buy bolts and nuts by the pound there which can really add up. Really no matter what you build, bolts, nuts, hinges, etc are a big aspect of the project.

King Metal as others have said...

Another place I used to...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by Bentrod; 09-22-2015, 05:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bentrod
    replied to Flux core help!
    For me, when I need to see better I use a mirror!

It has taken a few years to get good at it, and while I am in the shipbuilding industry, it is often employed in repairing boilers. As a welder, it certainly is a skill to master because it prevents you from being a contortionist.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Bentrod
    replied to Digital Elite Help!
    You can try replacing the batteries, but when mine did that, it meant the automatic lens part (what I call the brains of the hood) is junk. There is nothing you can do to fix it if it is not the batteries.

Miller has INCREDIBLE guarantees on their welding hoods, and a few times they have...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by Bentrod; 09-15-2015, 05:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bentrod
    replied to Flux core help!
    I am not sure there is enough information for me to give good advice in this situation.

As CWGrizz says...you do have to be able to see. That is paramount.

I assume you are welding with .045 wire, and welding butt-welds and not sockets? I am also assuming you are welding it...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Bentrod
    replied to SMAW Fillet Welds?!!!
    I work with the same guys for years who do not know what they are. Then again our Foreman once said 90% of the welders at work are junk-yard welders and it is probably true. I don't think that is unique to our shipyard per se, but simply because most welders care only about the pay and not about improving...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Bentrod
    replied to XMT 304 help 2
    Not sure on the cost for parts, but do know the 350 and 354 machines are much, much better. Not sure if you can get some used in your area at a decent price, but if I could; I would.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Bentrod
    replied to SMAW Fillet Welds?!!!
    What positions are you being asked to weld?

At our work, we are generally allowed to over-weld fillets if there are gaps in the fit-up and for visual inspection purposes like added weld for undercut, and lack of fusion. Sometimes though we are NOT allowed to overweld fillets welds if we...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Bentrod
    replied to carhartt jeans
    I am a professional welder myself (shipbuilding...meaning contorted welding 99% of the time) and I just get Walmart ****ies brand. I can go to the company store and buy Carhartt but why? The only thing that makes them flame retardant is starch and you can do that yourself. The reverse of that too of...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Bentrod
    replied to 7014 vs 7018 on the farm
    Desiccant does work.

At work they repackage our rolls of 100 wire for welding HSLA-100 steel plate into plastic bags with two packages of the stuff and store it in buildings, but not in heated ovens or anything. Considering what that plate is used for, and where on the ships, it's storage...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X