Collapse
20 results in 0.0082 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Scuppers
    replied to Andy:coppyrights question
    Sorry if I misunderstood your question. I just went with what you said in your original post -- that you had a concern about copyrights. Then others added a concern about patents. In any event, I just wanted to point out that "copying a design" can raise many issues, not just copyrights...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Scuppers
    replied to Andy:coppyrights question
    burninbriar, I don't want to answer for Andy, but I can say something about the topic of intellectual property rights generally. (Sorry, it's a long post, but it is a complex topic.)

Something as complex as a motorcycle can embody several forms of intellectual property, such as patents...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Scuppers
    replied to What welder to buy?

And then there are tortoises like me. Over a month of research and counting.......
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Scuppers
    replied to New miller but getting taken?
    You pointed to one of issues I'm considering as I research different manufacturers. So far, I haven't gotten a straight answer to that question as far as Miller goes.

Depending on the manufacturer and its policies, I might have to ship the machine somewhere (it won't be a large machine,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Scuppers
    replied to New miller but getting taken?
    TPM man, I know your frustration -- firsthand!

I, too, want to help the local businesses as much as I can, but some of them don't act like they want to be helped. Haven't decided which machine to get as my new welder, but I've been researching price, service, and the like.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Thanks, Andy. I would not have guessed that the stock number change reflected a mere name change. Was that the only change, or did something else change about the machine?

Incidentally, for readers who may be considering or researching the Passport, some of the online shops use the...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Hi Andy:

I posted the above question without realizing you had left for Las Vegas. I know you just got back Tuesday, so I don't mean to rush you. But when you have a bit of time, I would appreciate a response so I can continue my research of the Passport and a couple of other machines....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Scuppers
    replied to Breaker Size
    There's been a fair amount of back and forth on this topic already, and I don't want to muddy the waters anymore. So, I post with hesitation a couple of thoughts you might want to consider:

The analysis of the stress on the input components in 1-phase vs. 3-phase situations can become...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Question for Andy/Miller Expert re: the Passport

I'm considering the Millermatic Passport 180 for potential purchase. I've noticed an apparent discrepancy in Miller's promotional materials that I hope you can clarify or explain:

* Miller's web page for the Passport (click on "Models and Pricing") shows the Passport's stock...
    See more | Go to post

• Doesn't surprise me, johns6. I commented to you in another thread that I thought the Spectrum 375 has a switch-mode boost converter at its input. A boost converter is an active circuit and, as such, can compensate for variations in the input voltage.

More specifically, it can change...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• You're welcome.

Regarding the circuit breaker, if I understand you correctly, you mean matching the capacity rating of the breaker more closely with the current requirements of the Spectrum 375. (For example, change the 30 A breaker to a 15 A breaker.)

On the plus side,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Incidentally, johns6, in case you care to know, I think I know the power factor of the Spectrum 375 (you probably won't care if you use residential utility service, but might care if you're a commercial customer).

The numbers in the manual suggest a power factor of 0.95 (the ideal number...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Hmmm... I wonder whether Miller has changed something in the design or specifications. Otherwise, what the tech guy said doesn't seem to square with Miller's documentation. Looking at both the manual and the specifications, I find a duty cycle of 35%, with no dependence on the supply voltage noted....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• You're welcome. I hope it made sense.

Regarding the plugs, I don't think the 5-20P and the 6-20P have the exact same physical configuration. On the 5-20P, the horizontal blade is on the right side of the plug (looking at the plug as you face the prongs, with the round ground prong below...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Hi johns6:

Unless you don't plan on using the machine's rated capacity (or you have a high-current-capacity 115 V supply), I think you'd be better off running it from a 230 V supply.

I briefly checked the circuit schematic diagram in the Spectrum 375 manual (available at...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X