• eric75
    replied to Pictures worth a thousand words
    Nice application of depth of field.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• eric75
    replied to New table...done
    That is a pretty nice table.
    I would copy the entire design except for the vice.
    In my dream workshop, the vice would be mounted on post that is bolted to the floor. Come to think of it, I would also put the bench grinder and tube bender on posts.

Another cool idea would...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• eric75
    replied to destructive testing pics
    I think geometry is playing a big part in this. The weld is right in the middle of a huge stress riser. The spot where the crack began is under perhaps 50 times more stress than 1/4" lower on the tube. (OK, these are made up numbers; you calculate the stress and let me know if I am in the right...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• eric75
    replied to a few aluminum TIG welds
    James,

I like your description of the process for Tig welding Aluminum!
    I have played around with Aluminum before, your post makes me want to practice some more.

This may be a little off topic, but what is the explanation of the attached picture with the clear Pyrex...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Yes that 24 hour access does tend to get one a little spoiled. At my job I couldn't stand it anymore and snuck in during the night shift to do a little "government" job. Two days later they were a little short handed building up conveyor, so I got shipped downstairs to flux core conveyor legs....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• eric75
    replied to Is this a safe technique?
    Referring to the discussion from earlier, I think the "pulse" technique looks very good. The problem is below the surface, the brown slag that shows up at the end of a bead is likely getting buried beneith the next tack weld. There is a high risk of this inclusion causing a crack. I would...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• tight spaces acually help cut down the wind, you can usally get more sick out in a corner than you could out in the open.
    Our TIG at school were set up with Y on the tank and a second argon supply hose for doing stainless exhaust, or purging out the titanium chamber. Has anyone ever considered...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• eric75
    replied to alu welds
    Looks pretty good. Outside corners are hard because a small change in heat will make a large difference in the width of the bead and penetration. also when the bead gets too wide it is difficult to recover.

It looks like you have a restart between 1 and 2. Leading up to that you are either...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• eric75
    replied to New to TIG, couple questions
    For tungsten sharpening I prefer to flatten the tip. When I don't, I find that the tip splits and I have problems with the arc wandering to one side or another. Some people say the flat spot helps focus the arc on a narrower area. I'm not sure that I have observed this, but it sounds good to me....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• eric75
    replied to Suggestion For Andy
    Something I really like about this forum is that I can check for new postings without looking all over for them.
    Unlike some of the hobby boards, this site has people that actually do this for a living and have experince in a huge number of fields. We wouldn't want to box them in to certain topics....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• eric75
    replied to Something like loctite?
    I don't see you using that much locktight to do the job.

It takes less than 1 drop per screw, all the rest will drip through anyway.

I find that I get less waste if I put the drop in the hole insead of on the screw, that way, it spreads all the way down.

See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• eric75
    replied to TIG weld pictures.
    Cutting back is another way to say undercut. For that spot right next to the bend (where the cutback occurs) you may do well to start your weld at that edge by adding a drop of filler just high enough that it doesn't touch the lower plate. This will add some thickeness to prevent from melting away the...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• eric75
    started a topic roll cage building techniques

roll cage building techniques

For unibody cars that are getting a roll cage added how do you weld fully around the joints that run right up to the existing sheet metal?

I've seen inside rally cars where the roll cage is very well integrated with the unibody frame concept. Sometimes it seems spot welds were drilled...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by eric75; 05-12-2011, 03:03 AM.

• eric75
    replied to Pulsing .. please explain
    What sort of frequencies are you guys using with the pulse?
    I've heard of people using pulse to help time adding the filler, is that for thin stuff or just a training aid?
    I've also heard of people running pulse at much higher frequencies (600 hz?) , is that still in AC mode? How do...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Just this weekened I took a pretty good class run by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Tomarrow I'm going to secretary of state to take a written test, then I will have a motorcycle endorsment on my Michigan licence.

Next I have to find a bike and a place to store it.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X