No announcement yet.

Search Result

Collapse
39 results in 0.0064 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Thanks everyone that weighed in on this. Big help. All seems to be going fine now. I can't say which of the changes made the critical difference, but i can tell you what i changed.
    Pre-heat - I wasn't doing any before, and the shop is a bit cold now and there is no heat on. So I'm warming the...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Thanks all. Really good info in those links H80N (fabricator, hobart), and id love to try some of that 4943. Olivero, there is a pretty good amount of filler being laid down. The photo is a bit deceiving i think. Its 1/4" material and the vee is nearly 3/16" total width (about 3/32" bevel...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Cracking issues on 1/4" aluminum tin welded butt joints - 5052 -

(can't seem to edit the post title but auto-correct changed "tig" to tin)
    Hello All. Im fabricating another batch of planter boxes in 1/4" 5050, but I'm having major cracking issues this time around. Though the one I've attached a picture of is a funny shape, most are rectangles....
    See more | Go to post

• Andrew J 649
    replied to tig welding muntz metal
    Thanks ryanjones2150. Im welding the parts, though the weld puddle is shallow, there is definitely mixing of the base metal with the filler. I find that as soon as you try to get more than a small/shallow puddle the base (muntz metal) sort of boils and pops. So the penetration tends to be minimal, but...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Andrew J 649
    How do you mean Ryan? To heat up and place under the work? Or to draw heat away from the work. Im finding if anything i need to pre-heat the work with a torch then make my welds.
    Right now the problem is color match of filler to muntz. Pictured is a small test. The base metal is the 1/4"...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Im very happy with the used Wilton/Arboga gear head drill press i picked up off craigslist not long ago. Really nice to be able to go way down in the low range for larger diameter holes in stainless. Its the A2608. Got it for 900 + moving costs. More than i wanted to spend, but so far its been the...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Andrew J 649
    Yes. Me too, but its just a small thing and i thought i could do it quickly. Wow was i wrong.
    I finally found my notes on this subject, copied from welding tips a tricks. What i really didn't know (or remember) was what to do on AC balance, and found that Jody recommends max penetration/zero cleaning....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Andrew J 649
    started a topic tig welding muntz metal

tig welding muntz metal

Does anyone have tips on tig welding muntz metal (60% copper 40%zinc)? Im getting mixed results in both AC and DC neg, though i have seen both recommended on other threads.
    See more | Go to post

• Andrew J 649
    replied to TIG filler wire size?
    I forgot to bring things back around to filler size. On these planter boxes i was using 3/32" on the filled bevel welds, and 1/8" on the bottom panel welds. The material thicknesses were 1/4" to 1/4" and 1/4" to 3/16". Using the 1/8" rod was easier to control as the...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Andrew J 649
    Thanks for the reply posts ryanjones2150, xryan, Elcon, ASKANDY, HAWK, NorthernLights. The illustration and the beautiful weld sample are very helpful. Im sure having corners like this would have been a far superior method for strength, and if the boxes needed to be water tight (or air tight, as it...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Andrew J 649
    Thanks ryanjones2150 on the filler opinion. Your question about joint design sounds like a new discussion/topic, but it sounds like you don't approve. Keep in mind, the two front vertical corners are press brake formed, and the bevels are 2/3 depth of the material and 2" long x3 per joint.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Andrew J 649
    I was just going to start a thread when i found this, so i thought i'd add to it .
    I'm in the middle of doing a large job all in 1/4" 5052 plate with some 3/16 too. Its 25 planter boxes (i know that might be a head scratcher for some.. but its what the architecture firm specified for a...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I hear that ryanjones2150. I really like the idea of one for all and the Diamond Ground products 2% Lanth (blue) that i got two weeks ago have been working better than anything i had previously. Unfortunately, i think for what I'm currently doing (lots of 1/4" 5052), the "tri-mix" is...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by Andrew J 649; 04-23-2016, 01:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Glad you were able to sort that, but i'd love to see these last images bigger. Ive got a 180SD, and it runs fine, but still i'd like to know more about what you actually did to remedy the issue.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• No i hadn't looked at that H80N, thanks for the link. Looking forward to trying these when they show up.

I know those will take a few days to get here so i thought i'd try a 1/8" ceriated and a 5/32" 1.5% lanth from mcmaster carr in the mean time. When you order (singles anyway)...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by Andrew J 649; 03-24-2016, 08:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X