Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Alex
    replied to Mig Question
    Modes

Pulse for thin stuff (less heat input).
    Spray is only for flat horizontal position. Won't work on out-of-position stuff.
    Globular transfer = who cares (it's a mess because of all the spatter).
    Short arc = everything else.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied to Which to buy: MM210 vs. MM251
    210 vs 251

Welcome Clay,
    I have a MM251 so, obviously, I'm biased toward it. I have welded with the MM210 and like everyone says, it's very easy to dial in. But I, like Kevin, always err on the side of "bigger is better". I haven't run in to any 1/2" situations yet...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied to trailblazer giveaway
    Dyn88,
    Do you think they've even notified the winner yet? I hope not, 'cause I haven't heard anything from them.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied to poll: how young?
    Never too young, IMHO

d-dawgg,
    How would you pay for this welder? I have a 14 (almost 15) year-old son myself. Every time he asks me for something expensive (motorcycle, chainsaw, anything with an engine or big electric motor), I ask him the same thing "how are you gonna pay...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied to c25 or straight co2
    Spray transfer with straight CO2?

Weldmup,
    I, too, have NEVER heard that spray transfer is possible with anything containing more than about 15% CO2. It has to do with the ionization potential of the gas. What you are getting with anything higher that 15% CO2 (max.) is globular...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    started a topic Not really a Motorsport question

Not really a Motorsport question

Guys,
    I know a lot of y'all live in the frozen north (to me, the frozen north is anything north of the Red River) and being the inventive types that weldors are, has anyone got any plans for a hydraulic log splitter that they'd like to share with us shivering down here in Texas?
    See more | Go to post

• Alex
    replied to spray arc
    dual-shield vs solid wire

dyn88,
    What would be the advantage of using shielded wire over solid wire? Like the others here, I've never heard of anyone trying to spray with shielded wire. As far as stickout goes, start with the gun close to the workpiece and when you establish an...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Al/Stainless w/wo spoolgun

Don,
    I have a MM251 and I weld aluminum with a second gun w/ teflon liner. I know a lot of others use a spoolgun. I just can't get used to them. I feel like I have much better control using the same type gun I use on mild steel. For me, the changeover...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied to Welding Music
    another name for ZZ Top?

Leon,
    I've been listenin' to those boys since the 60s, since Rio Grande Mud, but at that time I was livin' in California. I've never known them by any other name.

But, I forgot some others that deserve mention as excellent welding music,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied to Welding Music
    Made loud to be played loud

51 years young. ZZ Top, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Zeppelin (anything but Stairway to Heaven), Johnny Winter (Progressive Blues Experiment), David Bowie, Jethro Tull, Van Halen, Alice in Chains, Foo Fighters, Huey Lewis, Leo Kottke, Stones, Pat Benetar, Mozart, Dvorzak,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied to New Helmet
    I printed out an advertisement from CyberWeld ($225.00) and took it to my local welding supply outlet (Praxair). Told them if they'd match the price I'd buy my helmet there. Walked out with a brand new BWE. I didn't mind payin' the tax 'cause they always give me good deals on other stuff and it was...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied to Finally: MM210!!
    Mm210?

Congratulations Hank. I'm sure you're totally stoked, but for some reason (I have no idea why), I thought you already had a mig machine in that class.

Weld on,
    Alex
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied to torch cutting question from Iraq
    isesoteric,
    How far to the nearest 63W? He should have the parts you need.

Keep up the great work, we're ALL behind you.

Be cool,
    Alex
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JHB,
    Follow the instructions in the post above yours (from teeps) and you'll have it made.

Be cool,
    Alex
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied to what gas to use with 350P
    Royco,
    The reason they suggest 90/10 or 95/5 is because 75/25 won't support spray transfer at moderate voltage levels. That said, you might be able to pulse spray .035 with 75/25 if you jack the machine up. If you get a lot of spatter, your in the globular transfer range. If you can get past...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X