40 results in 0.0203 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• stinkinlincoln
    started a topic heat treating aluminum

heat treating aluminum

Anyone ever do it? Not a lot of info out there about it. Most of what I've heard makes it sound like a dangerous, complicated, liability filled subject. Any info, specific stories, or sources of info would be appreciated.
    See more | Go to post

• Skilled welder available

I have an AAS degree in welding engineering technology, I intend to get CWI certification this winter. I have a burning desire to get an engineering degree. I have over six years fabrication experience. I have taken more advanced math and science courses than...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• stinkinlincoln
    replied to weld a piston?
    thanks revlimit. I missed out on the job because nobody in town knew anything about that alloy but I'll know for next time. I had suspicions that 4043 would work from what I read elsewhere on the internet. I'm sure noone gives filler reccomendations because of the liabilities involved. I only needed...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• stinkinlincoln
    started a topic weld a piston?

weld a piston?

anyone ever done it? I'm being asked if I can. It is made from forged aluminum. 2618-t6 alloy . can't find that alloy in any books. looks like 4145 alloy works good to weld 2XXX series alloys. probably more important than filler is proper heat treatment after welding? any answers will be app...
    See more | Go to post

• Spoolmatic+MM251+D200= cylinder head mod

My digital camera is a $40 piece of crap.

toyota 22re head; exhaust ports filled in to use headers from 20r engine

I'm not sure why this racer guy wanted it done, but he was willing to pay for it. Nothing like clearing $50 an hour on the weekend.

Maybe...
    See more | Go to post

• stinkinlincoln
    replied to MM251 Questions....
    The shop I have worked in for the past 4 years has 3 newer MM250s with digital meters, One older MM250 no meters, an ancient MM200, an MM251, and a lincoln 255. We run only T54 gas .035 er70s6. We short arc mild steel from 16 ga. to 3/8. We spray arc 3/16 to basically unlimited thickness (w/preheat)....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• stinkinlincoln
    replied to Metal supplier question
    most of us in the steel industry are all too familiar with the fact that china is buying all our scrap and all the price and availability paranoia that generated. it seems that the worst of that is over. At the worst point ( about two years ago) our local supplier told us he had a building contractor...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• stinkinlincoln
    replied to seeking knowledge
    I've come to realize that the process of becoming a master is really the process of finding every possible way to screw things up and learning from your mistakes.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I doubt you'll ever get full penetration and an attractive bead without a gap or bevel. If I wanted the best bead appearance and the easiest weld I would bevel about half way through. If I wanted to get it done. I would gap the plates about 1/16 through 1/8. Like tigman says more voltage= flatter...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I used to have a job welding stainless railings, we had to tack them on the floor. Using a foot pedal in that situation was a gigantic pain. I got good with a slider hand control. I like sliders better than the thumbwheels. I use a foot pedal anytime I can. Makes you feel pretty silly dragging...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• stinkinlincoln
    replied to what would happen
    Go ahead and try it. On some junk and with a wasted contact tip. If you have any sense it will only take about .8 seconds until you'll never want to do it again. What a mess. Proper gas selection and flow are critical to quality mig welds. Nothing as irritating as forgetting to turn the gas on...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I use an MM251 at work. We run .035 wire with T54 gas. That setup can easily weld 1/2". Occasionally, we make preheated multipass fillets on 5" plate and thicker with that setup. It's not ideal but it works good. Make sure your wire is feeding smoothly and you use a long stickout (1"...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I believe fun4now is saying that you may not need to weld all of every joint, that is what people usually mean when they say overwelding. That is good advice, as long as you can be sure they will be strong enough. Most steel fabrications dont need to be welded as much as they are. Whenever I'm welding...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• One of my "brick and mortars" quoted a price only $70.00 more than the best online price for a D200. I didn't even argue. Its well worth that much to have someone to throw it at if it breaks. When they thought I was bummed out by the hand control I bought from them (which I wasn't) they...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Thanks Much Speed Raycer
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X