• gearhead
    replied to Argon vs CO2/Argon
    Thanks for the information, it was very timely....Gear
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gearhead
    started a topic Argon vs CO2/Argon

Argon vs CO2/Argon

My CO2/Argon bottle is just short of being empty for my Mig welder. I have recently purchased an older Tig welder with no bottle. Do you have to use the CO2/Argon mix for Mig or can you just use straight Argon. I have been told the CO2 stablizes the Mig arc?. IF I can get away with just Argon then...
    See more | Go to post

• gearhead
    replied to Welding heavy plate
    You know I did ask and the Rep said the construction industry is going toward wire welding for everything. After talking to the Rep it just made me practice that much harder on my stick welding skills. I was at one time a good stick welder and since Mig became propular I dropped the stick welder for...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gearhead
    replied to Welding heavy plate
    Your right sorry about that. Regarding 1/2 to 1" plate work. Years ago I was strictly doing arc welding on plate, but don't know what process is used know. I'm told arc welding is just about dead, by the welding store sales reps.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gearhead
    started a topic Welding heavy plate

Welding heavy plate

Is the weave welding technique still used on heavy plate or is it all stringer work to fill the gap..
    See more | Go to post

• gearhead
    replied to Spoolguns
    I went into the local Miller shop and talked to the sales rep about the Miller 180 VS Hobart 210. The sale rep stated I should go with the Miller do to heavier internals. We talked about the possible need for the 210's extra power and I was told the 180 was enough to do all the jobs the 210 was capable...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gearhead
    replied to Spoolguns
    Took the time to really read the difference between the Miller and Hobart spoolguns. Looks like the Miller comes with a 12 foot gun and Hobart comes with a 20 foot gun. Thats a pretty big difference in length. Still leaning toward the Hobart 210 Handler with a spoolgun. Looks like more for the money..Any...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by gearhead; 05-20-2008, 05:34 AM. Reason: add information

Leave a comment:

• gearhead
    replied to Spoolguns
    I wonder why the Hobart spoolgun costs more? if both appear to be just about the same gun..
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gearhead
    started a topic Spoolguns

Spoolguns

I have been reading some of the posts on the Miller 180 vs the Hobart 210. Leaning toward the Hobart due to the higher top end. Going to purchase a spoolgun when I order the welder. Here's is my question, both of the spoolguns the Miller spoolmate 100 and the Hobart DP-3035 both look the same. Is one...
    See more | Go to post

• gearhead
    replied to Miller dialarc 250
    I posted a question on the Miller tech section. To my happy surprise I received a call back and had a very informative conversation with a Miller Rep regarding the power draw and other information on different welders. Says alot about Miller service to have a tech call me back instead of just leaving...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gearhead
    replied to Miller dialarc 250
    I'm just running a 50 amp breaker, I don't think I will ever need full power....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gearhead
    started a topic Miller dialarc 250

Miller dialarc 250

Have a chance to purchase an older dialarc 250 (white face). Told the machine is in good condition and has been used just a few times. The original owner still has the machine. Question do these older machines have any issues regarding reliability. I'm also considering using this machine as a tig welder...
    See more | Go to post

• gearhead
    replied to OT rotary weld positioner.
    Purchased a 100:1 gear reducer and hooked it up to a 1725 RPM motor. Really works well, but still just a little fast. Thinking about putting on a rheastat (sp) to slow the motor down just a little to get the overal rotational speed down. I don't need much to get the right speed. The 100:1 was real close...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gearhead
    The reason I brought up the 100:1 was because I just found on on EBAY. Regarding rheostat on the motor, I have heard that not all electric motors will function correctly with a rheostat attached. But if that is not right then a rheostat is the way to go. I'll have to do some checking on different motors....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gearhead
    Thanks for the threads to look at, it really helps. But one question, why stay with a 60:1 why not go to a 100:1 or better. Slows the rotations down even more.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X