21 results in 0.0219 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• kdahm
    replied to Santa Came Early!!!!
    Tips on lifting...

Just remember to keep your back straight..

Also, use the gravity produced by that belly to your advantage, like I do. Just set that thing on to of what you're lifting and let it help hoist. If the partying has been especially good, the gravity produced...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kdahm
    replied to Question about MM135
    Great. Someone gave me a 2lb roll of .035 solid that I need to figger out how to use. I will be welding 3/8" mild plate (multipass), so I think I should slow the wire speed down a hair vs. the .030 and set the voltage to 10. MM135, 75/25 argon.

Am I right?

Karl...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• What I want to see is

a "Gallery of Bad Welds"

Not attributed to anyone, and with a good weld or two to compare them against, but the sketches in my books really don't do justice to the all of the various and sundry ways of melting metal.

If anyone...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kdahm
    replied to New to MIG welding
    The machine won't do it

Gasless machines can only weld with flux core wire, which does not come in aluminum flavor.

The are really designed for steel. The other problem is that welding with flux core wire requires the reverse polarity from welding with solid wire. When...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kdahm
    replied to New to MIG welding
    Some questions which will help the real experts:

What machine are you using?
    What is your base metal?
    What is the thickness of the base metal?
    Which gas mix are you using?
    Have you tried the settings on the door?
    Which wire feed speed were you using?...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kdahm
    replied to Help locating parts
    15A Receptacles, 20 A Breakers

Because NEC expects that multiple point loads will be applied to the circuit, such that each receptacle is loaded to below 15A, but the total load on the circuit is below 20A? I would ecpect there is another provision that requires a 20A receptacle if a...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kdahm
    Sorry for being unclear

My response was to INTP

I agree that 3 phase plugs can be wired as single phase. My only problem is that if the receptacle is wired single phase instead of three phase, a future user may plug in three phase equipment and expect it to work. I don't...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kdahm
    INTP - 20 Amp plug, 30 amp breaker??

That is A Bad Ideatm

If you really have a problem with the air compressor tripping the breaker on startup, go to a 20 amp slow blow breaker. If you want to use a 30 amp breaker, you MUST use a plug rated at 30 amps minimum.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kdahm
    Some free electrical advice....

worth exactly what you paid for it.

Having the exact plug rating for the amperage is irrelevant. It is critical, though, that the plug is rated higher than the expected amperage.

The breaker should have the lowest rating in...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kdahm
    replied to Miller Motorsports...Really?
    The best advertising Miller has

is the number of blue boxes in the back of trucks and trailers, visible when driving down the road. A second is the amount of blue machines visible in mechanics shops, welding shops, and machine shops around the country. Another is the view of blue in...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kdahm
    replied to Coiled cable
    Inductance is both DC and AC

It is just a lot more noticable in DC.

When you coil the wire, the current creates a magnetic field. (simplistic explanation). If a magnet or a soft iron core is placed in the center of the coil, the magentic field is enhanced, by lining up...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kdahm
    replied to Look what I found
    I wonder what the 175 is really for

Now, I am only a hobbyist welder, but it seems to me that the 175 is a welder in search of a job. The MM135 is a capable welder in 120v configuration for quirte a bit less, and the 210 is a much more capable welder for only a little more. With the...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kdahm
    replied to New board software.
    I mostly like it

But the text on the main board could be darker. When I sit in my (well lit) office, looking at my monitor, the pale blue really washes out against the backround. Maybe a medium or dark blue? (or even, dare I say it, a Miller blue).
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kdahm
    replied to Structural Steel Welding
    Have you tried a jacket?

Gloves, a welding cap, good heavy duty pants and leather boots also help.

I have done a tack weld or two wearing socks and sandals, but the falling spatter makes it inadvisable. After the first dance or two, I decided it wasn't that far to walk...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kdahm
    replied to Welding on Gas Tank
    I wouldn't say it's smart

But it also isn't in the 100% certain death category.

More like the 95% the first time, and 99.9% for repeated attempts.

Gasoline vapors are explosive. Other VOC vapors are explosive. for each type of vapor, there is a minimum...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X