85 results in 0.0118 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Andy249
    replied to Pulsed MIG Welders
    RockyD,

MMA would stand for Manual Metal Arc (Welding) one would assume, gotta love a world full of blasted acronyms! I've worked out the welding trade is nearly as bad as computers

MAG is Metal Active Gas (welding), this is where a shielded gas such as CO2 is used...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Andy249
    replied to tigging 1/2 " alum question
    rb455ho,

If I were your friend I would scrap the pieces and put it down to experience and ensure it doesn't happen again!! I would have a go at filling the slots out of interest but I don't think it is a very economical alternative to just scrapping the pieces, unless of course the prices...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I'll add my congrats in there too, nothing more satisfying than having your efforts noticed by someone else!
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Hi Guys,

I am another one who started my own mobile welding business, the good ole bobcat 250nt with a MIG suitcase was my starter and enough to get me going, my jobs ranged from marine through to heavy earth moving to doing fences, gates and of course those irritatingly fiddly jobs!...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Hank,

Good looking sections, if you have access to some 1200 grit wet and dry and some nitric acid, you should polish and etch them so you can see how deep the weld penetrated. Just a thought!
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I think Hank is right on the money here.

Based on your observation of it happening when welding thicker section it sounds like the weld maybe too cool (most likely happening because your material is acting like a heat sink and whisking away the heat before fusion can take place). This...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Pat,

This "flashing" you are speaking of wouldn't happen to be chips of silica that have formed after your weld? Should be brownish looking, shiny areas that chip or jump off quite easily and readily leaving shiny weld metal underneath?

Some wires I have used...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Thanks for that link Mike, armed with that information I might go out and develop a circuit board where I can just input the thickness and all other parameters would be taken into account, or maybe I should just cut my losses and buy a pulsed MIG? He he

Although they specifically mention...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Hi Jevs,

You would be best served by going for the best weld your pocket will let you, in terms of initial purchase price and value for money down the track. I recently bought myself a 300 amp TIG inverter, not so I could weld at 300 amps, but for the half decent duty cycle these machines...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• The hull is fabricated up side down, the seams are welded both sides with a MIG, in an ideal world it would be TIGged on the outside but I consider distortion and speed the main drawbacks with this method. As this is the first of hopefulyl many, I have no doubt the processes will change as the project...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Hi Mike

As a general rule TIG normally isn't performed on sheet greater than 1/4" thick. At that I would restrict TIG work to things like outside corner fillets etc. We used to weld 1/16" Ally with a standard MIG if that is any guide for you. TIG is definately really great for...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Andy249
    replied to Aluminum Tig
    Not a bad looking job Gary, your consistency looks to be pretty good, I would perhaps try and contract the freeze lines a little more.

One general observation I have made is that a great deal of the aluminium TIG that is posted seems to be done with 4000 series filler? I know the silicon...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Ello People...

I'm not Ask Andy!! He he, would be nice if Miller did spot me a BWE though, I'm never to proud to turn down a freebie! Although if they had one with an Aussie flag on it I would have one in a flash!

Thanks for the comments guys, nice to be appreciated by...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I have a jig that I pull all the sheet over to get the shape, the best part for both myself and the customer is that all of those sheets are pulled into place by hand, the less stress in the structure the better in my opinion, should mean that the chance of cracking up later on its life is dramatically...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• When I got off the net last night I thought how cruel I was to not supply any specs! Sorry 'bout that.

Specs are:
    Layout: Bowrider configuration
    Plate Thickness: 4mm (1/4" bottom and side sheet)
    Length: 5.2m (17 feet)
    Beam: 2.5m (8' 2")
    Freeboard:...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X