Collapse
500 results in 0.1841 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• JTMcC
    replied to Miller 304 pipe pro reviews
    The one's that I've used (about 4 of them, spelling off or swapping leads with the guy across the pipe, mainline PL construction) were very nice. There are a lot of them on PL row's....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied to Building a pipe welding truck
    You can't pull an RV (gooseneck) with a welding machine on the bed unless the ball is moved well back.
    Maybe a stock trailer, if the gussets don't wipe out the onbed boxes..
    Blueprints only exist in the feeble minds of pipeline welders.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied to Career Change Question
    At 24 yrs old you've got all the time in the world. Keep in mind that there are welding jobs, and then there are welding jobs. Some start at minimum wage and some pay upwards of $80/hr.
    I'm not dogging on people who are content to weld for 15 bucks an hour putting in their 40 hr/week every week,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied to Need Trailer Welding Advice
    When or if you go to buy material, remember there is no such thing as Sch 40 or Sch 60 HSS (structural tubing).
    It's called out by the outside dimension(s) and wall thickness such as 4X2X1/4. 4" X 2" , 1/4" wall thickness....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    Like I said, you don't have to believe it. The truth is out there. If you look....you'll find it.
    There are tubular structural pieces in place since before I was born with minimal to no internal corrosion. I've cut them open on seismic retrofits. I probably have pictures.

Keep in...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    No the AISC (and several others) are right. This was studied to death many years ago when structural tubes started coming into use by people who really couldn't afford to have bridges coming apart.
    Once the small amount of oxygen present in a sealed tube is depleted, there is no further corrosion....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    That's incorrect. A sealed structural tube only has the moisture that's sealed inside, and that only supports corrosion for a very short time.

These things were studied, and figured out well before I was born. And it can be a 1" square tube, or a 12" X 24". Sealed structural...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• My machine is a lot quieter than the Cummins in my truck.

It's not a "monster", good grief, it's just a regular engine drive welding machine. A Vantage 400, it weighs around 1100 LB....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• May be.
    My machine (quietly) makes 19k 3 phase. That's plenty for me....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied to Advice for a general contractor
    I would suggest that you look very, very closely at the total cost of doing that work in house. There is a reason they are charging what they charge....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied to Bad day
    Not me. my friend had to hear it tho, not being a jerk but it just gets me a bit when people talk bad days.
    I hope they make good on your tool box....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied to Bad day
    When the doctor looks you in your beady little eyes and says your 2 year old Daughter has cancer, THAT'S a bad day.
    Everything short of that is just an annoyance.
    So keep life in perspective.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied to Weld Symbol
    On anything that's continuously circular, there is no "weld all around" symbol. Weld all around is your only option unless they call out an intermitent weld sequence.

If you're getting high centered over a goofy weld symbol on a drawing, then get used to it. It happens about...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• For many years Lincolns BU-90 (get it...BU, Build UP) was the build up weapon of choice, a 90,000 LB spec rod. Not 7018.
    It's gone now but Lincoln's replacement is Wearshield BU.

There are many other more costly options as well. Very little buildup work is done with stick rod...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied to cylinder age limit
    DOT says cylinders must be taken out of service after 99 years regardless of testing, or at least that was the reg a few years ago. I've had a 1912 owner bottle, around '03 or so.

J
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X