67 results in 0.0361 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• gangel99
    started a topic Weld or glue?

Weld or glue?

I have a stainless steel colander where one of the handles came off. The colander is thin perforated sheet and the handle is about 1/8" thick. Looking at it carefully it is hard to tell how it was fabricated.

For tools, I have a spot welder but I've always used it to weld thin...
    See more | Go to post

• Voted for the Milwaukee which served me well for several years until I bought a horizontal band saw. Two years later after never using the chop saw I sold it. Don't miss the mess, the abrasive wheels, having to grind off the dross. My vote is for a bandsaw!
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gangel99
    replied to Band saw or chop saw?
    If it is either-or then a bandsaw. Not a 4" x 6" cheapie but at least a 7" x 12" with coolant; runs all day; cuts straight -- or at a true 45 degrees. No mess, no dross to grind. After I got mine I stopped using my chop say totally. It sat around for two years until I finally...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gangel99
    started a topic 10L14 Steel - weld, braze, ???

10L14 Steel - weld, braze, ???

This alloy is sometimes called leaded steel, is very nice to machine but is almost unweldable - not sure whether this is due to the lead in the alloy or other properties. My question is whether it can be brazed or silver soldered. I'd also be interested if you have welded it successfully and how you...
    See more | Go to post

• gangel99
    started a topic MIG safety question

MIG safety question

I am a weekend welder and keep my argon CO2 mix tank connected to my welder - at least until I run out of gas. The tank and welder are securely mounted but I wonder if I should be disconnecting the tank and screwing on the tank cap after I am done welding each time.

BTW I always disconnect...
    See more | Go to post

• gangel99
    started a topic Fireplace tool set

Fireplace tool set

This is a fireplace set I made - pictures and fabrication steps are at http://www.msbn.com/Art/shop.html.

This is a real easy project. The secret is the fancy handles - a component I bought from King Architectural Metals....
    See more | Go to post

• gangel99
    replied to Keeping my bandsaw clean?
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm certainly not looking for extra work so I'll adjust my view a bit about what is 'clean.' The saw had been banged up over the years and I am planning to repaint it when the weather gets warm. Guess I'll skip painting the drip pan.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gangel99
    started a topic Keeping my bandsaw clean?

Keeping my bandsaw clean?

Upgraded from a 4 x 6 Harbor Freight to a (used) Jet 7 x 12. Couldn't be happier about the improvement but for the first time I am running a bandsaw with coolant. The manual says to clean and dry the saw after each use. Hah! There is a big pan under the entire saw that gets coated with chips and...
    See more | Go to post

• I've done several in thicker steel with a really el cheapo bench drill press. I'm talking 1/3 hp and 200 RPM as the lowest speed.

For a clean hole you need to use three bits. Something small between 1/8" and 1/4". Then mid-size around 1/2" - 5/8". Then finish...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gangel99
    replied to Machining Help
    You probably know this but just in case - you should be using an end mill suitable for aluminum a 2 flute or 3 flute rather than a 4 flute end mill.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gangel99
    replied to Hot Water Tank
    It may be the water that does them in but it is also planned life span. Water heaters here come with a warranted life of 6 years, 9 years, and 12 years with prices to match. I remember my old house years ago where the hot water heater lasted 25 years. It's not that they can't build them that way,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gangel99
    replied to Replacement blade tpi
    No - not a bad thing. I've heard a minimum of 3 teeth in the work piece and the point of it is to avoid catching and chipping a tooth. If you have 'too many' teeth making contact you lose some efficiency by making much smaller chips than needed - not a big problem.

I think if you...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gangel99
    replied to Red/brown mild steel finish?
    I am a metal sculptor and have done lots of patina work with steel. To make a long story short, nothing will stand up to being outdoors. Even for indoor sculptures you have to coat the patina with either wax or a clear sealer. These will not stand up to weather.

I've never used CorTen...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gangel99
    replied to spear points for fencing
    I like King Architectural Metals. http://www.kingmetals.com/ I have not bought spear points from them but I have bought lots of other things. Decent service and, I think, prices.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• gangel99
    replied to New to MIG - Have SS project
    I've been doing a bit of SS Mig welding with a similar welder (mine is Red, not Blue) and it does weld differently than wire intended for mild steel. I would recommend you try it out on mild steel just to get used to the way it welds.

Let me add I am a very amateur welder so if you get...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X