15 results in 0.0047 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Kevin Disney
    replied to Welding magazines
    Ken,

Along with the AWS Welding Journal another good magazine is Practical Welding Today put out by Fabricators & Manufacturers Association. I think they still give out free subscriptions, their website is www.thefabricator.com. May give some info on how others put a welding magazine...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Disney
    replied to Tig Torches
    Hawk,

I remember about 20 years ago that we used some 500 amp water cooled torches with Miller SyncroWave 300's. This was for thick aluminum plate repairs on heat exchangers. I can't remember the torch manufacturer. I will do some research and see if I can find it and see if it is...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Disney
    replied to Helmet / shield bag
    Capt Nemo,

You may want to take a look a some of the safety supply companies for motorsports. They have bags for racing helmets which should work good for your welding helmet. Companies like Simpson, Impact, Bell, etc.
    Good Luck.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Dennis,

What type of load is on the weld? Shear, compression, or tension. If the weld is in shear or tension you definitely want good penetration, so beveling as previously recommended is the prefered way to go, in addtion to the lower amperage and speed. But it is not a good idea for...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Disney
    replied to Price structure
    Richie,

Determining the wage rate for a welder includes quite a few variables. Experience (process capabilties and time), certifications, affiliations (union), location, etc.

However, I think you are looking for just some hourly rates for a typical shop welder with basic...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Moe,

Are you primarily welding 304 S/S? And what filler metal are you using 308?

Try the 75/25 on the stainless steel when in spray arc mode and see how it works. Using pure Argon may work, but ideally you want some O2 or He in the gas to increase the arc temp to assist...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Disney
    replied to 4130 Prep
    Rob,

Prior to solvent cleaning (ie. lacquer thinner, acetone, alcohol) it is a good idea to power clean several inches around the area to be welded. Use a clean wire wheel to remove any debris or mill scale on the tubing surface. I prefer to use 100% isopropyl alcohol to solvent clean...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Disney
    replied to Tig Reference Information
    Larry,

Swift is correct on the amperage (~200 amps). I was looking at the wrong line on the my procedure, 60-100 amps is would be for about 1/8" material. Have you corrected the problem yet?
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Disney
    replied to Tig Reference Information
    Larry,

I agree with Andy that you should first check for contaminated gas or tungsten. But if you still are having a problem then here are some other things to check especially if you are used to welding chrome moly or carbon steel.

1. Is your machine set for AC mode?...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Gus,

The proper way to weld stainless steel tubing is with a backing or purge gas (100% Argon), this will prevent "sugaring" or as you stated "ugly black nuggies". When using a purge, you need to have a flow of Argon through the piece to be welded prior to starting,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Disney
    replied to Filler Rods
    Andrew,

The American Welding Society (AWS) is a good source of information on filler metals, however AWS does not make specific recommendations for filler metal selection. The following specifications will give you information on physical and chemical make-up.

AWS A5.18...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Disney
    replied to dissimular metals welding
    John,

Had to do some research on your question concerning welding cast iron and mild steel. I will try to make this brief as possible, because there was quite a bit of information available. I will list this in sequence –

Preparation – if the casting is used it may...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Steve,

Remember that weld preparation is just as important as the welding process. If you don't get adquate penetration because of improper joint fitup, it doesn't matter what process you used. Take the time to get the joint right before you weld. Either MIG or TIG will give you an acceptable...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Disney
    replied to GTAW filler rod selection
    Todd,

ER80-S2 is a higher strength rod, the 80 means 80,000 psi tensile strength. This is a good choice for welding chrome moly but not necessarily for mild steel. The finished weld will have a significantly higher strength than the mild steel base metal. You also lose some ductility...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Sean,

I know of one sprint car fabricator(Avenger)that has used postweld heat treatment, however they put the entire chassis in the a oven at about 1100 degrees F. Also, I have heard of some fabricators using vibratory stress relief, which is becoming more accepted by fabricators for...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X