Collapse
500 results in 0.2532 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• fjk
    replied to New Shop Teacher Help
    I got the impression that the problem was with the welding cables, not the power ones ...

If it's power, you're absolutely right ... but even so, having the kids do the work (removing old/broken/... cables, installing new ones, cleaning, whatever) under the watchful eyes of a licensed...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I suppose we could have a big discussion about whether shop or academic classes should be number-1 ... but I agree 100% that sports should not trump either of them.

And you can teach teamwork and all that in shop or academic classes ... you 5 are going to build a thingie together or...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• fjk
    replied to New Shop Teacher Help
    Better yet ... have the kids learn how to fix the machines :-)
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• fjk
    replied to free candlestick job
    I had a similar job a few years ago and used the lowest low-temp silver solder I could find. I used one of those little micro-butane-torches (think a cigarette lighter on steroids). The torch has a really small flame, which meant I could tightly control where the heat was. If I get another one, I'd...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• fjk
    replied to Question on welding cast iron
    You can weld it, but you must 100% follow the proper procedure, if not ... you get more cracks than you started with...

You can get Ni MIG wire ... several years ago I looked into it and it was very very expensive and you could only get it in the big (11#) rolls ... I only needed a little...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• It was done in the Nixon/Ford administrations.
    Carter's administration may have increased pressure for states to enforce the speed limit as a result of the 1979 oil crisis, I don't recall. But the Nixon administration did it in 72 or 73.

And yes, it was done by making a 55MPH speed...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• If memory serves, France was Germany's largest trading partner in 1913 and the first half of 1914. In 1940 and the first half of 1941, German/USSR trade was quite robust.

The 55MPH speed limit in the US was introduced in 1972 or 1973 during the 1972 oil embargo. Carter was...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by fjk; 10-20-2014, 07:51 AM. Reason: fix typo ... so there Cgotto6 ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Actually, the us is starting to produce rare earths again. The mountain pass mine in California is being (or has been) reopened.... At least that's the last I've heard.

On the other hand, the US has no known/useful deposits of chromium ore or titanium ore (iirc) . The sr-71's titanium...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• fjk
    replied to Surface rust on welding table
    Just ignore it. Unless it was _really_ rusty (think auto body-rot or falling-down-bridge type rust) I wouldn't even have ground/sanded/brushed it like you did.

I would not paint the table. The paint will impede the electrical current. Also, the paint will get dinged and scratched and...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• fjk
    replied to Desparately needing help
    Where are you & how long do you typically stay in one area?
    A local participant of this board might volunteer to spend a day or two to help you get started, etc.

Frank
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• if one were to look at, say, the miller web site's job openings section, one might find a number of jobs like "field application engineer" as well as sales/marketing jobs, technician jobs, and so on.

you could also check the hobart, lincoln, etc, sites.

check...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• fjk
    started a topic A reminder about safety and fires...

A reminder about safety and fires...

Several weeks ago a fire destroyed an apartment building in downtown Boston. Two fire fighters died while fighting it. Investigators believe it was started by sparks from a welding job being done on a neighboring building.

Excerpts from http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...
    See more | Go to post

• fjk
    replied to The Dreaded COFFEE Shakes!
    Ok, just checking wrt the non-caffeine causes. Sorry about your tonsils --- let's hope nothing worse happens.

Similar to cgotto6's advice, the only other advice I've got is to eat a decent sized breakfast with your morning coffee. I find that if I just drink a lot of coffee in the morning,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• fjk
    replied to The Dreaded COFFEE Shakes!
    Not to be a downer but you may have a problem other than "coffee shakes"

First, stop coffee for a while and see if it goes away. If it does, great. Cut down on the caffeine (maybe half caf/half decaf) or spread it out over time or don't weld for a while after the morning pick-me-up....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Except that a solid metal box buried in the ground probably makes an excellent faraday cage...

At the very least, make a smaller trap door in the main door that can open inwards and out of which you can poke the phone ... Or shout for help... Or just check that everything outside is...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X