Collapse
78 results in 0.0238 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Brian Oatway
    replied to NHRA Chassis Certification
    I found a pic on my phone, not a super pic of the welds but a nice pic of some snot in one of them that was where I embedded the tip of my tungsten and had to grind it out. I'm sure I have some better pics at home

See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Brian Oatway
    I'll find some pics to put up but I can hear it already......
    1. You are not a professional welder and should not be making these welds.
    2. This type of work can only be done by a real chassis builder and not by a hobbyist in a residential garage.
    3. etc

I get and admire the pride,...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by Brian Oatway; 03-30-2015, 08:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Oatway
    I passed my 8.50 Chassis Certification yesterday.

I had been in contact with the inspector emailing him pictures for review and comment as I went along so I was pretty confident that everything would be OK, but I was sill a bit nervous since this was my first cage.

The inspection...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by Brian Oatway; 03-30-2015, 06:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Also be sure that your LWS will fill the larger privately owned tanks. Mine will not fill a privately owned tank larger than 80cf, you are forced to lease the bigger tanks AND my LWS will not lease to an individual you have to be a business.

I bought a used TIG that came with an enormous...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by Brian Oatway; 02-05-2015, 06:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Oatway
    Gotya.....did they use it to verify welds or were they just checking tube wall thickness?

It's interesting that a track will issue a chassis certification sticker that is good anywhere but different tracks use different inspection procedures.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Brian Oatway
    Thanks for replying.

The replies are exactly where my confusion is coming in. I've had people tell me that it's just visual and others tell me they do some testing of the welds.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Brian Oatway
    started a topic NHRA Chassis Certification

NHRA Chassis Certification

I need to upgrade the roll bar in my car to a 10pt roll cage. The cage needs to pass an NHRA Chassis Certification inspection.

Has anybody been through one of these inspections in the past? What exactly will they be looking at or looking for? Is it simply a visual inspection?
    See more | Go to post

• Brian Oatway
    replied to Big green egg's cart
    Ouch!!!! That way was out of line....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Brian Oatway
    replied to Upcoming roll cage job
    I welded the floor plates to the bars on the bench for that location. I figured running the Mig in tight quarters to weld the plate to the floor was much easier that trying to Tig way in there.

I used a helper to run the pedal for me rather than going with a finger control. It took...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Brian Oatway
    started a topic Blower Plenums and IC Tubes

Blower Plenums and IC Tubes

I've started a new project making intake and discharge plenums for my supercharger and IC tubes all out of aluminum.

I am a hobbiest welding learning this stuff on the fly as I do project on my car. Generally speaking a quality weld produced by me sticks the two pieces of metal together...
    See more | Go to post

• Brian Oatway
    started a topic Cheater Glasses

Cheater Glasses

I am a hobbiest/garage welder and I picked up a pair of +3 cheater glasses from CVS and used them for the first time this weekend.

All I have to say is HOLY CRAP I can't believe what I can now see and what I was missing before. Magnification should be included standard in the helmet lenses....
    See more | Go to post

• Brian Oatway
    replied to Double Bench Grinder Stand
    That's a pretty cool idea....nice work.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Brian Oatway
    replied to Arbor press frame.
    I just ordered the SWAG Press Break as well....Hopefully it will arrive today. Looks like a nice little accessory....we'll see....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Mines 18 and the same way. I own a small engineering company and he thinks he's gonna come and sit at a desk and play video games all day and get paid.

I can't win with him....if I push then I'm being to tough if I sit back he does nothing and I go ballistic. Another guy in the office...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Brian Oatway
    replied to Upcoming roll cage job
    I put a 8-point roll bar kit from S&W in my '94 Thunderbird last winter and it took me about a month of evenings and weekends.

Things that suprised me how much time it took were........
    • Removing seam sealer and spray on sound insulation from floor boards. This stuff needed
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X