14 results in 0.0067 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• jtn
    started a topic Weld example feedback

Weld example feedback

Hi folks, I'm about to do a bunch of repetitive welds and wanted to get you all's feedback on some of the welds I've done so I don't trash the project with poor welding technique. I'm largely self-taught and would appreciate any advice that would help improve my welds (I thought I was doing really...
    See more | Go to post

• jtn
    replied to Red/brown mild steel finish?
    Thanks for the great feedback folks -- here's a pic of some of the methods I tried (L to R: gun metal blue from metal finishes plus, antique pewter from metal finish supply, the DIY hydrogen peroxide-vinegar-salt mix, plain vinegar, muratic acid, and naked on the far R)

See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• jtn
    replied to Red/brown mild steel finish?
    That's exactly what he described -- when you say weak acid, do you mean lemon juice or some melt-your hands stuff diluted with water? I've usually just painted my projects, so please excuse the basic questions. Where would I get that sort of acid, anyway?
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• jtn
    started a topic Red/brown mild steel finish?

Red/brown mild steel finish?

Hi folks,

Looking for input on how to get a particular red/brown/light rust finish on a fence project.

I talked to a guy at a local art fair who had a similar finish and he said he used an 'acid bath' to get an even, light rusting. I've tried leaving test pieces out...
    See more | Go to post

• jtn
    started a topic Fence jig advice

Fence jig advice

Hi folks,

I'm starting work on a fence that replicates the one pictured below, and thought I'd ask you all for some advice (it's my first fence and I've only been welding part time a couple of years).

I was thinking of making 10-ft sections (these in the pic are 9ft), and...
    See more | Go to post

• jtn
    replied to Plasma cut feedback
    Mine is set between 90-120 psi, although the cuts seem to be better the higher the pressure (but then the compressor runs more).

To set up one of those drag shields (I have a roller guide on the way, but it looks a little cumbersome for detailed work), do I need the drag shield...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• jtn
    How do you keep the tip from touching the workpeice when using the guide? I tried to do some cuts with a guide and I couldn't tell when I was scraping the side of the plasma tip on the guide or when it was dragging on the workpeice itself . . ....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• jtn
    I can't wait -- should I fuse the new 240v circuit at 30A?...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• jtn
    No 240v yet -- I'm going to rewire the house later this summer and that'll be a sure thing in the garage. The compressor I've got is 30 gal and says it'll do 6.8 cfm @ 90 psi.

I've got a water condenser/filter/not sure on the outlet of the compressor, and have a filter for the cutter...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• jtn
    That's what I'm hoping!

It's on 120v, set at 17A and the pressure on my compressor reads 110psi (although its a bit old, probably varies between 100-115 as I go . . .)...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• jtn
    started a topic Plasma cut feedback

Plasma cut feedback

Hi folks, just got a 375 xtreme and was trying some cuts -- what do you all think? My first time on a plasma cutter, so any advice is appreciated.

the slag on the backside of the cut had to be ground off -- is this normal? I was thinking it might be sticking b/c of bad technique ....
    See more | Go to post

• jtn
    replied to Steel finishing
    I sprayed some salt water on it and it's sitting outside . . . maybe in a few days it'll get less shiny . . .
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• jtn
    started a topic Steel finishing

Steel finishing

Hey folks,

I'm working on some indoor coffee tables and want to give them a gunmetal/burnished look without having to dip them into a bunch of crazy hot chemicals or spray paint -- I like the look of hotrolled steel but after I grind out the junctions there's the shiny bare matel next...
    See more | Go to post

• jtn
    started a topic Cut-off saw issues

Cut-off saw issues

Hi folks, I just got into welding with a MIG 135 and am loving it. I also have a Rigid abrasive cut-off saw, but it cuts inconsistently (sometimes it slices right through, sometimes it hardly cuts on the same material). Any ideas? Generally it gets worse as I work, and the cuts look like the metal...
    See more | Go to post
Working...
X