Collapse
12 results in 0.0111 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• schemi
    replied to What kind of metal is this?
    I was just reading that. I really like the colors in it. I have a big 2x4' probably 16g sheet of it. It has been floating around my garage for 15 years and I assumed it was stainless. Never had a need for it until now.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• schemi
    started a topic What kind of metal is this?

What kind of metal is this?

I used a piece of what I thought was stainless for an exhaust hanger. It tigs nice and has great color. However, when I try to weld it to 304 stainless, it does not weld good at all. The weld is grey and very porous and cracks in a matter of seconds. This it two thicknesses welded together with no filler....
    See more | Go to post

• schemi
    replied to tig help
    Thanks SundownIII. I turned up the amps and sped up. I experimented with different speeds till I found one that looked good. Then I used that amp setting and speed for about an hour just practicing. I am very happy with the results.
    I have another question. I read on another thread that someone...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• schemi
    replied to tig help
    I am getting good penetration on both material. The steel welds look good in shape and form other than they almost look like they have been sand blasted. There arent any bubbles. Sorry I dont have a good camera right now. I have tried everything that was suggested other than the lens. I will just keep...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• schemi
    replied to tig help
    I am using ac for aluminum and dcen for steel. Same gas for both, 100% argon, same flow. Like I said my aluminum welds are looking very good but the steel is not. No joints just practicing on flat material. Same conditions, welding inside garage no wind. I was thinking maybe not enough gas flow, but...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• schemi
    replied to tig help
    I have tried many different amp settings from too hot to too cold and the result is the same. The gas flow is about 15. The gas flow is the same as I use when doing the aluminum. The rod is ER70S2. Thank you
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• schemi
    started a topic tig help

tig help

I have been learning to tig on both steel and aluminum. My aluminum welds are looking very good, my problem is with steel. The welds are a dull gray color and porous. I am using a 180sd, thoriated, and the steel was ground and cleaned. I am practicing on 3/16" plate.
    See more | Go to post

• schemi
    replied to new to me 180 sd
    what should I have my gas flow set at?
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• schemi
    I found my dads owners manual and original receipt. When he bought the welder Airgas gave him a credit for the pedal. I did find a rotary control. I have tried both the slide and the rotary and prefer the slide. I dont suppose someone would be interested in trading the rotary for a pedal?
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• schemi
    Got a chance to use the welder today. Works great. The only thing I need to work on is keeping my electrode clean. I have carbon steel and mild steel rods. I had to weld a seat bracket in my jeep. Tried both rods and I dont see a difference. Which one should I be using?
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• schemi
    thanks for the info. should I use the thumb slide or the pedal? Is one better than the other or do I need to just experiment?
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• schemi
    started a topic new to me 180 sd

new to me 180 sd

My father recently passed away and left me his 180 sd. I have only tig welded a few times 10 years ago. I have been mig and stick welding my whole life. I would like to start tig welding steel, aluminum and stainless. Can anyone give me a crash course on setting up this welder? He was a paraplegic so...
    See more | Go to post
Working...
X