Search Result

Collapse
10 results in 0.0113 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• New 302 Trailblazer

Well, my customer liked the work and gave me an increase in scope so off to the local welding store I went and bought me a new 302 Trailblazer, a 30A spoolgun, and of couse the controller. Got about 3 additional weeks of work out of my strut job but it was tedious...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• No cracks

Thanks for the input. I used more preheat (300 deg+), started off with max voltage and wire speed of 60, and got it down to 75 voltage and 45 wire speed as the heat built up. Set the argon @ 30 CFH, and I paid more attention to wind and drafts. The beads were small (3/16 - 1/4)...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• aa5gp
    replied to young or old
    muffler shop

After I got out of the Marine Corps, I worked offshore, in plants, refineries, and shipyards till I was 30. I was always away from home in pursuit of bigger payings jobs and came home in 76 after a long trip offshore to an empty house. My wife had split so I went back to...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• aa5gp
    replied to Cave Art
    Nice work

Very nice work and great website Jim. Are you a ham radio operator as well?

Thank-you for your service to our country.

Charles
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• aa5gp
    replied to cast aluminum question
    2 x 2 x 1/4 6061 angle

I recently tacked some 2 x 2 x 1/4" 6061 with 1/8" 4043 rod. Started off at 95-100 amps DC reverse polarity and had to be really quick as it used rod faster than I have ever experienced. I had about 2 dozen places to tack and all I had onsite was my XL...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• pics tomorrow

I'll have to take some pics. They are on the dry docked vessel and not here. The stubs were welded on the tubes prior to boring and bearing installation to avoid distorting the barrels with heat. The struts are 20 in long. I fitted the tubes, tacked the struts to the tubes,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• It gets hot

It got hot. I would turn down the voltage and wirespeed as it heated up. The tubes are marine strut bearing barrels (Johnson Duramax cutlass bearings). for an aluminum hulled boat. I had two of them to fabricate and I worked on them for several days. Each side required approximately...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• aa5gp
    replied to CGA 530 On an argon bottle
    Bleed valve

Sounds like the bleed valve (you described it as a poppet) is leaking. Try leak testing with a little soapy water. It might be as simple as tightening it.

Regards,

Charles
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by aa5gp; 06-03-2007, 08:11 PM. Reason: clarification

Leave a comment:

• Wall thickness

The pipe is 12 in long, 4-1/2 OD, with a wall thickness of 1in. The flatbar I'm affixing is 6 in wide and 6 in long.

Thanks...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• aa5gp
    started a topic Too much metal for too small a machine?

Too much metal for too small a machine?

I have a Millermatic 180 and a SGA100 with a 3035 spoolmate gun. I'm having trouble getting the wire speed and voltage adjusted correctly for an aluminum project I'm doing. I'm welding 1 in aluminum plate to 1 inch thick aluminum pipe. The plate is beveled to 45 deg as I require 100% penetration. I've...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by aa5gp; 06-03-2007, 02:10 PM. Reason: Typo
Working...
X