Collapse
15 results in 0.0149 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• brightspark
    replied to Shiney stainless TIG welds
    I work with nothing but stainless and always use a gas lens wherever i can. Be careful as you can have too much flow which causes turbulance, drawing oxygen into the shielding gas. 10-16 lpm should be ample with a lens.

Another factor is surface contamination make sure the metals spotless....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• brightspark
    replied to New Business Tools?
    I'm not sure about Health and Safety legislation in the US but here in the UK you cannot commence any work on site without a Method statment and Risk Assessment for the work to be undertaken. Maybe a template for each would be a good idea so new starters can have all the appropriate H&S documentation...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• brightspark
    replied to Pipewelding
    Hi Ryan;

The Rate of pay has nothing to do with risk, (any welding is dangerous) it's all about the skill level required.

To weld pipe effectively, you must be able to weld in all positions and sometimes in the most uncomfortable locations.

I've been working...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• We use Ridgid Collapsable workbenches with a demountable vice.

I would never dream of taking a stool anywhere with me! - to the uneducated it looks like your just being lazy!!!
    You're gonna have to learn to weld without a footpedal, either with the slope function on your dx or...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• James;
    I started out in much the same way 5 or so years ago but had a worked as a pipefitter welder / vessel fabricator for food and pharma (pure water mainly) so had a very good understanding of stainless and the type of applications it's used in. I'ts nothing you can't lean with time and experience...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• brightspark
    replied to Stainless project
    Not sure on the design of your box but if you're tryin to weld open corners then maybe you could use a copper or aluminium backing bar. This can be used as a jig to keep the corner square whilst welding and will stop you burning through. Another advantage is it would act as a heat-sink which would...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I personally wouldn't bother with the weld through covering (you wouldn't prep a tig joint then spray it in paint would you?) it's just a potential contaminant in your weld. Tack weld everything as you said but i would go for a series of small 'stitch' welds maybe an inch or so long and lay them at...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Welds look really good, the only thing is watch out for the crater at the end of the weld - just keep adding the wire as you slope out to avoid the shrink hole. This is especially important if you're making tanks etc as they can lead to pinholes/leaks.

Good work - Well Done!
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• brightspark
    replied to High Tech Redneck WELDS
    most of my work is in pharma / Biotech so most of it is high value/spec. working on something slightly different now, Largest producing dairy in Europe (rumoured to be biggest in the world but not sure) everything on here from 1/2" tube to 12" Shd 40 all stainless and there's some reasonable...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• brightspark
    replied to Dynasty 200 DX problem
    hey Sundown,

your daughter will do well there its a very good college and the area's real nice. If you ever make it over to visit her you'll have to drop by my shop and burn some rods
    Funny enough I was working in Runcorn last year for 3 months so I know that area pretty well...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• brightspark
    replied to Paint Recommendations
    Dupont do a satin binder for their paints in which you substitute for the gloss ones. not sure about the other manufacturers you list cos we don't get them over here but might be worth talking to a local car sprayshop.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• brightspark
    replied to Dynasty 200 DX problem
    do you guys get zirconiated tungstens over there? before the introduction of ceriated and lanth types we always used thorium foc dc and zirc for ac.
    zirc gives a good weld and ***** up well - not problems starting.

i only use gold tips nowadays and have had no trouble with starting...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• brightspark
    replied to favorite tools
    All I can say is if you but c**p you buy twice. I always buy the best i can, there's nothing worse than getting on a job and your gear letting you down. It doesn't look good to your clients and just makes your job more difficult.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• brightspark
    replied to hunting for info!
    Many thanks guys,

Gary do you still have copies of the cad drawings / calcs? would be interested in seeing them.

After using the trailer for a while how are you finding it now?
    I am especially interested in the toolbox on the front as i do lots of sitework and...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• brightspark
    replied to hunting for info!
    Hi Darmik,
    I been looking for that trailer too! It's the one with the diamond plate box on the front. could you post the link to the thread up or tell me what search you ran to find it?

Many thanks

Russ
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X