Collapse
238 results in 0.0846 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• raferguson
    replied to Picking the right machines
    Drywall is pretty cheap, and a pretty effective firestop. Thin sheet metal is cheap, and would certainly stop sparks. The real key is to clean the area carefully, remove anything flammable, and sweep before you weld. Watch the area for 30 minutes after welding.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I have a question. Is there a reason that no one has suggested the possibility of rectifier failure?...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• To clarify a little bit, every table of this type is built on the assumption of a permissible voltage drop, usually 3%. I went ahead and used the web site below, and cranked in 150 feet, 15 amps, 12 ga, and got a voltage drop of 9 volts, around 7.5%. That is quite a bit, but not crazy. Most likely...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• raferguson
    replied to 250V MVP plug craziness
    I would just make up a short adapter cable to convert the 4 pin to three pin. The four pin is generally hot, the other hot, neutral, and ground. In the three pin they omit neutral, as I understand it. They are both 240 volts between the two hot wires. You can get all the material at Home Depot...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Download the owner's manual. I don't remember the maximum power output, but I recall that it was a powerful unit. Not a bad idea to pull off the covers, look for anything burnt or obviously awry, and blow out the dust. Unless I saw a problem, I would put the covers back on and power it up. Always...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• raferguson
    replied to amp usage
    I think that T Red has it right. Maybe one of your phases is heavily loaded, while the other two are not. If your Syncrowave is hooked up to the heavily loaded phase, that would explain your problem. It might also be possible to reduce the load on the phases that the Syncrowave is using, move things...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• raferguson
    replied to TIG torch options
    Like you, I mostly use my #9 torch. It fits anywhere I need it to go, which I cannot say for my WP-17. I have toyed with getting a smaller torch, but concluded that I don't really need it. I use the CK-9 Flex head torch. I don't think that I could go to a smaller torch for my work, I use 100...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• raferguson
    replied to syncrowave 250dx
    Nec

The National Electrical Code allows smaller wires, relative to the breaker, for dedicated welder outlets, on the premise that you cannot run the welder at 100% power 100% of the time. Obviously in real world welding, you stop to change rods, or take a break, or...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• raferguson
    replied to Welding 3/4" steel with MIG
    The Miller welding calculator says spray arc, 98% argon and 2% oxygen, 315 amps, .045 wire at 390 inches per minute. If the shop normally works in heavy steel they should have a powerful enough welder. My concern would be if they have gas suitable for spray arc. I know that I don't have suitable...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• 6013 is about the lowest penetration rod, and generally recommended for sheet metal, so you might start with 3/32" 6013 rod. You will need to keep the rod moving to avoid burn through. They make smaller diameter rod, if you cannot get 3/32 rod to work for you.

You said thinwall,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I will let someone else correct me, but I think that the spoolgun is not easy to use on thin aluminum. Whenever I Tig weld aluminum, it always seems to be thin. So unless you are welding 1/8 inch or 3/16 thick aluminum, the spoolgun may not be as useful as you might think....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I did not read your note carefully enough. The self-shielding wire is a somewhat different animal. You should probably go back to the manufacturer's website and see what it says. Note that if it says spray transfer, your welder is not powerful enough to support it.

Does your welder...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• What is the diameter of the wire?

Note that stainless steel MIG welding generally calls for a special gas. I don't know how critical that is, however.

You may want to look at the Miller welding calculator, which will help you figure out what wire feed speed you need, and...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• raferguson
    replied to Gas surges at start of flow
    Physics

A surge of flow is hard to blame on the line between the regulator and the robot. If that line is acting as an accumulator, it would actually tend to smooth out the flow, not create a surge. The longer and larger the line, the greater the smoothing effect....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• raferguson
    replied to Miller 211 problems
    In the electronics world, this would be considered infant mortality. Electronic failures typically have a bathtub curve, so high at first, then low, and then, after many months or years, the failure rate starts to increase.

If it happens again, that would suggest power problems in your...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X