76 results in 0.0069 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• sjmiller
    replied to MIG Questions
    MIG Questions

I hope I'm not the only one here that takes exception to the statement about what works for one job will work for the next.... and that's what we do???

SJMiller
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• sjmiller
    replied to sparks in eyes
    sparks in eyes

I will forwarn you - when it comes to safety - I don't suffer fools. If there is someone on a production line that has molten metal flying inside thier hood - call your union rep, that is why you are paying them outragous dues. If that doesn't work call OSHA.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• sjmiller
    replied to lincoln VS hobart wire
    Wire is wire

The manufacturing spec's on wire are so tight that when you buy for example E71T-GS .030 - that is what you get. It isn't like comparing a burger from McDonalds & Burger King...

In all realty - it's probably the same wire mfg for all brands - Made in China....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• You can do things right - or take a chance

Let me preface this with - if you take a chance and burn down the house, insurance will not cover the loss. Even though I now I could have done the work myself - I hired a licensed electrician to upgrade my service & install a subpanel. I...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• sjmiller
    replied to Need info on Lincoln's School
    Career change

I too was looking for a career change a few years back, and considered doing the Lincoln program. Fortunately one of my brother-in-laws has one of the old Calif. welding certs that is good for life. He recommended doing Community college classes and classes by my local welding...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• sjmiller
    replied to Suggestions for scrounging scrap
    Scrap sources

I lived & worked in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area in the mid-1970's, now I understand that there are gated communities out by the Scottsdale Airport where I used to hunt!

Back to the question at hand - all of the metal supply shops here sell their scrap...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• sjmiller
    replied to Dual Bottle Rack for MM251
    Disconnect the Battery

I needed to do some welds on the rear bumper of my RV, I didn't disconnect the battery because I was grounding a few inches from the weld location. It only cost me $200 to replace the stereo - won't do that again.

Steve
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• sjmiller
    replied to Newbie
    Doing Business

Keep the dream, but temper it with reality. All of the previous posts have offered very good advice. What I found over the last three years is that I spent about 2 to 4 hours a week on record keeping, about 6 hours a month on monthly state, Fed. & SSI tax reporting,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• sjmiller
    replied to cheap welding helmet
    Cheap is, ... well cheap

Let's all be flat out honest on this matter, I always side on caution and protection. I started out with a cheap hood, and didn't like it. I then bought my first cheap Auto hood, and didn't like it. I finally bought a hood I thought I would like - and do (Optel)....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• sjmiller
    replied to where can i get one of these?
    DvD Rewinder

Do they drool while the "dvd rewinds"?

Jeez
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• sjmiller
    replied to Passivation of Stainless Steel
    Aweful answers - geez

It doesn't matter what type of metal you heat - it changes colors depending on how hot it gets. It's called the HAZ - if you are using a mller 200, or 300DX - you can tweak the welding parameters to minimize the HAZ - wire brush needed for clean-up....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• sjmiller
    replied to rebar project
    WireBurner

I have two Koi ponds in my backyard - my only pests are "great blue Herons". There is a Sprinkler that has a motion detector that will blast critters.

Steve
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• sjmiller
    replied to Help Please
    Conduit is used for containing wires

You have to be kidding?

Steve
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• sjmiller
    replied to young or old
    How old...

I was 48 when I used a repair on my RV as an excuse to buy a Millermatic 135 to fix. Since then I have bought a Dynasty 200DX, a Spectrum 375 and a myriad of metal shop working tools.

A day spent building something from stock metal is so cool.

See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• sjmiller
    replied to union
    Unions, so******m in free enterprise

Been there - done that, won't go back. That being said - if the union shop you are thinking about joining offers a good training program to advance your skills - do it with your eyes wide open.

What I mean by eyes wide open - once in...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X