Collapse
147 results in 0.0141 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Tex
    replied to chrome moly welding
    I looked at my D17.1 today and the grey unacceptable was in the titanium column. Steel was acceptable at any color. Can you double check Aaron?
    Thanks,
    Matt
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• That's awesome. (good local support) There's a guy on my airfield who bought one last year and it looks pretty nice. He's a danger to everyone on the ground but at least they'll die looking at a nice plane!
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Tex
    Lakily,
    When I learned how to TIG in college we ALWAYS used a backing gas and they definitely weren't grey on either side. Aaron is right about pulling in impurities (please correct me if I'm wrong) but they can be pulled from the back of the weld as well. That's just the nature of TIG. It's...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Tex
    Whaaa?

Hey Aaron? WHere's the oxy-fuel pitch? You might try a backing gas as well depending on your gizmo you're welding together. AWS also recommends ERS80-D2 filler metal. Good luck.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• More hot air from a blowhard

Yeah, that isn't a great idea. Plasma is good for splitting a sheet of aluminum or stainless but not for detail work. Besides, aluminum cuts so easily with a band saw so who would want to get the plasma, hook up the air, deal with all the junk and then have...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• backpurging aluminum

You shouldn't be burning all the way through the aluminum so backpurging really isn't necessary. Stainless, steel, chromoly, etc. yes
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Tex
    replied to Anyone want to weld in Iraq
    Let me tell you

I've done the military contract in Kuwait and there's always something they don't tell you. They promised us all kinds of overtime and other crud and you may, or may not be welding all day depending on what the company wants you to do. Bottom line is it may not be what...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Tex
    replied to Trailblazer 250G problems
    Hope you're alright What a bummer! Still, I'd try and get the other guy's insurance to buy a new one (or my own insurance co if it was my fault). Some stuff is just not the same after a jolt like that.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Tex
    replied to Beautiful TIG welds
    Welllll, maybe if it was O/F welded, right Aaron? Actually I can hardly believe all that weld with such little apparent warping. I can't help enjoying a finished project. Good job! Still, how long will that last? It seems like there would have been a better way than 20 hrs of fab and welding. ...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• back purging

When I was taking TIG classes we just used a Y splitter. We just opened the torch side all the way, set the flow and then opened up the back gas. It's a balancing act but it's as cheap as you can get and it works. It might not be the "industry standard" or the...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• 2 years of welding classes taught me how much I don't know I can't imagine just winging it but some people do. I'm overly cautious though.
    I recommend AT LEAST take the MIG class at the local college. MIG welds have a tendency to look great but fail big-time. Good luck...again!...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• If you look in the December issue of Welding Journal which is put out by AWS there's an article called "Taking it to the Track" and there's a big ol picture of someone MIG welding "structural tubing" at the Dale Earnhardt, Inc garage. They talk about increasing the voltage and slowing...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Tex
    replied to Welding Aluminum Irragation Pipe
    Huh?

MMW, why wouldn't you use a HF box? Just curious since I'm in the market. I realize it doesn't have some of the features a 200DX has but that's what Miller recommends with the TB302.
    Matt
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• You shouldn't be cutting aluminum in a chop saw to begin with. It'll gunk-up your cutting disc. Use a band saw and it cut's like butter. Then get a de-burr tool and scrape off theburrs, etc. You shouldn't have any "junk" in there. Then clean off the oxidation and dirt like you normally...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Tex
    replied to Trailblazer 302 to power cabin ?
    If you're not a professional welder it seems the Bobcat 3 phase is more suited to you. Even if you're a pretty great welder I think you would be happy with the 3 phase. Either way you're a winer
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X