33 results in 0.0163 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• DrBob
    replied to Aluminum welding problem
    Problem solved

Many thanks to all who helped. It seems I just needed to Dial it in a bit more.
    Like all who are new to the spoolgun I was letting the stickout get too short. I just didn't have faith that the 'spray arc' would throw the metal that far. It does indeed.
    Enclosed...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• DrBob
    replied to Aluminum welding problem
    Thanks to all

Thanks to all who answered. Broccoli the gas was the first thing I thought of. After all - soot is carbon and where could the carbon come from? - CO2 that's where and where is there CO2? in a bad bottle of 'argon'. Well the fellow at airgas assured me that he purged the...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by DrBob; 02-22-2009, 03:21 PM. Reason: bad grammer and spelling

Leave a comment:

• DrBob
    started a topic Aluminum welding problem

Aluminum welding problem

Hi, all. I just got a shiny new spoolmate 100 for my MM180. I have welded aluminum with my old Lincoln using an 'aluminum kit' and the regular gun but this is my first spooler. I am getting black carbon soot around the weld bead. Not on it. I doesn't seem to affect the weld much except at the toes where...
    See more | Go to post

• Establish a record of this problem with Miller

Trickard,
    How long have you owned the welder? Are you the original owner?
    If your warranty is still in effect you want to call Miller service and get it on the record that you're having this problem. If you need a new circuit...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• DrBob
    replied to Searching For The "Perfect" Mailbox
    Promising future

Well, GDA use MTBob's idea and mount the box so it'll swivel out of the way when hit by the bat (or a snowplow blade. I lost so many boxes to the orange rod that shows the snowplow guy where the edge of his plow is that I wound up pouring a new footing...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• DrBob
    replied to Double bottle cart
    Great Cart!

Hey Smooth! I saw a picture of your cart over on SFT and used it as part of a post on taking pictures of our work. Kinda tough over there because of the low limit on picture size. Those magnetic ground clamps stuck on the side of the tank kinda threw me. I'm a newbie to welding...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• DrBob
    replied to New Shop Stove
    Heat exchanger

Beautiful job, Finney! It DOES kinda look like the nose of the canon on an A10 at that ! I happened to have been in the service when that gun was first introduced. Saw a demo. They had it set up in a kitchen tent (canvas top no sides). There was a huge rack of ammo and...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Learning to Weld

I'm just awestruck by some of the careers that many of the members here have had in welding. Compared to them my story is very modest and almost backwards.
    I started out welding gold alloys with an air/natural gas torch in a medical lab and then got a job with...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• DrBob
    replied to Snowblower - snowplow
    Thanks & LOL

Thanks Roy! Here I was thinking your name was "Robert Alotto" (a very handsome name, Robert, don't you think
    It turns out you're Ray Bertalotto. Another theory down in flames!
    DrBob (LOL)
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• DrBob
    replied to Searching For The "Perfect" Mailbox
    Great Mailbox!

Great Job, MTB!
    A suggestion: form the reflective tape to show your house number. That'll help out first time visitors at night.
    For people like Jeff and the .30cal bandits, a claymore tripwired to the post and some reactive tank armor would be good ...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• DrBob
    replied to Snowblower - snowplow
    Great Job

Great Job RA!

Could you post a quick pic showing how the plow is mounted to the Snowblower?
    For newbies like me could you comment on how you formed the blade and what sheet/plate you started with? I would love to add something like that to my 28"...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• DrBob
    replied to Flying Project
    Pulse Jet vs Ramjet

Well I don't know what you googled Turboglen but there is a big difference between a pulse jet and a ramjet. The pulse jet is what the German V1 'buzzbombs" used. There is a valve arrangement at the air intake which rapidly meters air and fuel into the combustion...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• DrBob
    replied to Ring Roller design
    Thanks Mark

I'd never heard the term "piano hinge" before

Well it's the term my shop teacher used to describe a long hinge of that type.
    I guess some version of it is used on the tops of pianos - I can only play the radio myself BTW I took metal shop...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• DrBob
    replied to Ring Roller design
    Beautiful Work!

67 chevelle I went to the shopfloortalk forum and reviewed your beautiful project. I got about 5 projects just from seeing the pictures of your shop!
    Beautiful work on the roller. I think I'll start with a welding bench similar to the one pictured. Yours seems to...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• DrBob
    replied to Design help needed
    Deer Sympathy

Paul,
    I recently hit a deer on a local country road. She jumped out about five feet in front of my car. No time to react.
    Here is part of the 10 page bill from the body shop.

Parts 5502.53
    Body Labor 1152.00
    Paint Labor...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X