Collapse
16 results in 0.0086 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• RetWelder
    replied to magnesium
    Mag Will not burn up as long as you have a gas shield ,straight argon same as for T.I.G. welding Aluminum. As for welding it as Fusion King says, It is basically like welding aluminum. That is to say the same machine setup
    A.C., H.F. and argon gas @ 20 to 30 C.F.H.
    Of course, you CAN...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• RetWelder
    replied to magnesium
    Mag Will not burn up as long as you have a gas shield ,straight argon same as for T.I.G. welding Aluminum. As for welding it as Fusion King says, It is basically like welding aluminum. That is to say the same machine setup
    A.C., H.F. and argon gas @ 20 to 30 C.F.H.
    Of course, you CAN...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I recommend, and use T.I.G.
    I have encountered some motorcycle cases that are magnesium, IF you ever do, Use A-10 mag rod and go at it just like it is aluminum.
    Yep it smokes like crazy and will leave the weld covered in smoke But once you wire brush it, it will look magnificent {hahahah...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Actually, I agree with that statement.
    I learned how to T.I.G. weld before the advent of Inverters, Pulse, Square wave or any of the other "Bells and whistles"
    All we had In the beginning was the add on H.F. box! Miserable? Yes! But you learned how to weld with it, not just run...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by RetWelder; 01-06-2009, 05:03 PM. Reason: P.S. addition

Leave a comment:

• RetWelder
    replied to MIG Help Needed
    My two cents worth

He did mention in one of his later posts that he thought he was dragging the weld instead of pushing it along. Torch angle and gas flow rates could have a lot to do with several factors along with dragging the torch rather than pushing it. Both being creating a vortex...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• RetWelder
    replied to MIG Help Needed
    Just my two cents

Too much of a leading torch angle * I try to stay in the 15 degree range* * push the torch don`t drag it* can draft air into your weld causing the brown smoke. Too much or not enough gas flow can cause the brown smoke.
    Contaminated gas or a hole in the gas hose...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• RetWelder
    replied to mig welding aluminum
    You may not be able to achieve the spray arc transfer process with that particular machine. A good spray arc capable machine needs to be able to separate the voltage control form the I.P.M. as the spray arc transfer process requires more voltage than short arc does {same amperage and I.P.M. as short...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• RetWelder
    replied to mig welding aluminum
    Are you Spraying or short arcing? Short arcing Aluminum is not really the preferred method with wire. Although it can be done the lack of fusion is very possible when using the short arc process. I have used the spray arc process with 1/8 base material and .035 wire, very long welds. With great success,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• RetWelder
    replied to Flying Project
    Agreed, as long as the L.Z. is clear of obstructions. During Auto Rotation cyclical Movements are limited. Which leaves maneuvering to a clear area very limited especially if it is hydraulic systems failure causing the non maintenance of altitude.
    However. We/you are not talking high altitude...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• RetWelder
    replied to Flying Project
    Way back in 1968 I was a UH-1 {Huey** Crew Chief Here is what we were basically told about autorotation " If you ever get in a situation where autorotation is required here is the procedure" " Bend over, stick your head well between your legs and ..... Kiss you *** goodbye"....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• RetWelder
    replied to You might be a weldor if....
    You might be a Welder/Weldor if ......

You have ever tried to fabricate anything out of Mangalloy plate and wondered what the **** was wrong with your welding machine and or gas and or wire. And tried reversing your polarity to get rid of the severe spatter ECT. Tacked two pieces together...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• RetWelder
    replied to Titanium Welding
    Titanium

I have welded Titanium ejectors *exaust pipes for the T-700 gas turbine engines on Helicopters*.
    Open air environment as they are way too big to fit inside of a purge chamber.
    A trailing cup is one thing I used *home made*
    However on these units there are...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by RetWelder; 12-15-2008, 03:09 PM. Reason: Speeeeeeeeeeeeling

Leave a comment:

• RetWelder
    replied to Please diagnose my beads...
    Excuse me

Admittidly, I have Never welded with an inverter welder. The D.O.D., government was too cheap to buy any.
    I have however sharpened the tungsten as many suggest and let the tungsten "ball" on it`s own. And it does work after the rounded end forms and the...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by RetWelder; 12-15-2008, 09:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• HELP! What's wrong with my welds?

TIg332 has it about right. The only other thing I might add is eye hand coordination. Practice makes perfect.
    Running a nice appearing straight bead is only 25% if the battle the other 75% is getting complete penetration with NO contamination....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• RetWelder
    replied to Please diagnose my beads...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. the speckles are, yes from touching your tungsten either to the filler rod or weldment itself. AND .... not removing the pickling {skin** before you ran the weld. Grinding/sanding with aluminum oxide grinding/sanding...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by RetWelder; 12-14-2008, 05:57 PM. Reason: Speeeeeeling, After all I am just a dumb welder :D

Leave a comment:

Working...
X