14 results in 0.0089 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• swamper8
    replied to welding 4130 chromoly tubing
    OK,
    So I went to my local welding store to pick up some ER70S-6. Not only did they not have it but no one thought that would be the right filler for 4130 anyway. They thought maybe ER80S-6 at first, but after asking around they think I should be using actual 4130 filler rod. So I got two...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• swamper8
    replied to What to make a spindle out of
    Well, since you seem to be a rider, I'm sure you know what a lefty cannondale fork is? I bought two lefty wheel sets off EBAY, specifically because they were fairly cheap. I 'assumed' that the spindle on the lefty fork was removable, and I'd be able to retrofit the spindle to my project handcycle....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• swamper8
    started a topic What to make a spindle out of

What to make a spindle out of

I know this is a welding forum but I figured there'd be people here who know metal well. I'm wondering what the best metal would be to make a spindle out of. The spindle will be for a bicycle wheel/hub. I was wondering if I should make it out of mild steel, so it's soft and can be turned on my...
    See more | Go to post

• swamper8
    replied to Does serial number matter ?
    oh my god don't even get me started on auto parts stores. I've had to widdle my selection down to just a handful of Napa stores. Every autozone and advanceautoparts I've been in is seemingly stocked with "after-school job" teenagers who think that because they put a cold air intake on their...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• swamper8
    replied to Does serial number matter ?
    Just wanted to let you know that I have a 1976 Hobart Cybertig 300. I use a WP-20 Weldcraft watercooled torch. It's just an off-the-shelf torch, no need for serial number matchup etc etc. However when I had to replace my power cable, It got a little more specific because of the connector on the...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• This is semi-permanent. I am using a corner of some industrial rental space that a friend of mine uses for his business. Unless he goes out of business I can use the space for as long as I want. I once tried to find what I was told is a 'buck boost' transformer. However I think one that is capable...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• swamper8
    Well I like to do things right so i will probably try my hand at annealing. Do I have to anneal the joint soon after welding? Or could I fab up my frame, assemble my components and fully test my design to make sure I won't be cutting/modifying any of my joints? It'd seem like a waste of time to weld...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• swamper8
    Thanks! I was going to post another question for a better description of annealing. I have a mapp gas torch and a acetylene torch. Will the mapp gas get to 1200 degrees? Also, is this process necessary for a simple recumbant bike frame? I will be gusseting each joint as well and I weigh under ...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Well, according to the manual I have for the welder, if I reference the correct electrical diagram it says I only have 230/460/575 settings. My model is 5283D-1. I did find a electrical diagram in the manual that has 208/230/460 settings but the diagram number does not corespond to my model number...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by swamper8; 03-02-2008, 01:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• swamper8
    Yes, the steel is definitely 4130. I am not doing anything quite 'mission critical'. I was going to build a recumbant bike frame out of 6061 aluminum but my TIG welder is flaking out in AC mode. So I have to switch my project frame to 4130 chromoly instead. I was just looking for some basics,...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by swamper8; 03-02-2008, 01:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• swamper8
    started a topic welding 4130 chromoly tubing

welding 4130 chromoly tubing

hello,
    Can anyone give me tips on welding 4130 chromoly tubing? I.E. best tungsten material, argon flow rate, cup size etc. Also, what is the best filler rod? I used the miller calculator but would be interested in someone's real life experience. I will be welding plate up to 1/4"...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by swamper8; 03-01-2008, 07:23 PM.

• Thanks. I am beginning to think my problems are with my welder. I have 210V between phases out of my three phase panel. Welder is setup for '230' volts. So my math tells me I'm at 8.7% less than ideal. So I guess my power isn't the problem. I think my welder needs a 'tune up' so i am going...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Well that's good to know. can you think of any reason why I have an unstable arc? I am using 1/8" pure tungsten, with a small ball on the end. The machine is in AC mode, with continuous arc selected. I am trying to weld 1/8" 6061 aluminum square tubing. The arc seems to "sputter"...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• swamper8
    started a topic Will phases affect A/C welding

Will phases affect A/C welding

hello all. I have a old Hobart Cybertig welder. (1976) I am running it in its 220V mode (it's a single phase machine) The 110V panel where I am is boogered up (both busses are fed off the same meter terminal) so I was forced to grab 120V off two legs of a 3 phase panel. So basically I am running...
    See more | Go to post
Working...
X