X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sjmiller
    replied
    Grinding Tungsten

Take the advice of the pros - dedicate a griding wheel to your tungsten. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a $19.95 grinder for that purpose. If I ever get to the point of second guessing experienced welders - I follow their suggestions.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• paulrbrown
    replied
    Sounds crazy, but a flap wheel or a sanding disk makes a pretty good sharpener on a disc grinder. and you can dedicate it to just that. Hopes this helps, Paul

Leave a comment:

• arc
    replied
    shade tree welder is right you must use one wheel of your tungsten and use it for that purpose only. cuts down on many arc stating and weld bead problems.

Leave a comment:

• shade tree welder
    replied
    dedicated wheel

It is very critical when you are doing code welding, but if you are like me, i do minor aluminum repair, boats etc.,thin sheet metal and such you should be fine. I bought me a small cheap bench grinder and it is only used specifically for grinding electrodes,the tungsten grinders are very expensive . Although it mite not be a good practice but it works for me!

Leave a comment:

• ttype
    started a topic Dedicated wheels fror grinding electrodes

Dedicated wheels fror grinding electrodes

How important is it to use the grinding wheel for tungsten only ?

I am using the wheel for drill bits also.
    Am not preasure welding pipe, only playing around with home projects , so losing a percent or two of strength is not a big deal.

Also the owners manual suggests diamond wheels, the cheap aluminum oxide wheel seams to work fine. Is this a bad idea ?

Thanks
Working...
X