Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimYoung
    replied
    I buy my gloves from National Welders (the blue ones)good insulation from heat and sparks, long sleeve cover-alls, a leather apron, 3M dust mask, and a speedglass helmet.. By far the best advice that I can give you is "Don't skimp on the autodarkening helmet" ... as a side tip, I have a florsecent light over my table ... if I hold it up to the light ... it goes dark which tells me its working, before I test it on an arc... :
    oh, felt tip marker
    Jim
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JimYoung; 01-21-2007, 12:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• arc
    replied
    if you dont want to use soap stone there is another product called sliver streak but the stuff breaks really easy and can be hard to see on steel. for gloves i like cow hide or mecanix gloves for tig. like my speed glass helmet or my cheap $50 dollar for really dirty jobs.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    And also in my opinion nothing beats cowhide.....the more the beter IMO

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    For years I have just used a plain old carpenters pencil to mark on aluminum with but at the last couple of factories I've worked at everyone has gone to sharpies. They look nicer and rubbing alchohol removes it well. Pencil is more permanent. I always used soapstone on steel unless blued...then a scratch-awl.

Leave a comment:

• stick man
    replied
    Gear

More of personal preference tha anything, but I prefer the old jackson style hoods with the flip fronts, as far as gloves cheapest I can buy sense they get burned up. execpt when Iam tig welding or dueing alot of layout I like to wear the tillman tig gloves. tillman also makes good quailty sleeves. hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• youngwelder_154
    replied
    I have seen people use markers of metal colors you can see, chalk well i guess thats the same thing as soap stone.

Leave a comment:

• justjeff25
    started a topic welding protective equipment

welding protective equipment

I am just getting into welding. Just got my first job and I was wondering what you guys prefer and why, when it comes to gear. Helmet preference, sleeves, jackets, gloves, chaps. what do you recomend and why. Also what kind of stuff is out there to mark on metal with, besides soapstone.
Working...
X