• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    deboo

• deboo
    replied
    Originally posted by paulrbrown View Post
    That Pipemaster is slick, but a 12 inch is 700 clams.....I have used the 2 inchers, they are handy.....too bad you can't just buy a bag of pixie dust or something and go wala....can anyone post pictures of the divider way???? I am still kinda unclear on what was written, I once bought on of those all purpose wraparound gizmos, but lacked the grey matter to figure it out. Thanks, Paul
    Pipemasters are great when your fence is going uphill or down and the fence sizes are $100.00 or less

Leave a comment:

• Bareback Jack

• Bareback Jack
    replied
    Are you doing tube framing, or pipe welding. I just assume you are talking about gas line or the like. For anything standard (T saddles and such) pipe wrap and quarter marks are the fastest way to do it, at least for me. I was doing some 2" gaurds for the pig launchers/receivers and I made a PVC template for the saddles. I just took a piece of PVC about 6 inches long and a rasp and made a perfect template that you can draw on with your soapstone. Works pretty good, but only for the little stuff. Anything over 2" I still go to the pipe wrap.

For the odd stuff like 45's you can take an old face sheild and trim it to make your template. Use your blue book to get you close, then trim to perfection while you make your fist one. Still have to shape up your fist one, but after that you'll have a good pattern. I had a bunch in the truck. My helper goes through a ton of face sheilds so I never am short of pattern peices.

BTW, any work down there? I'd like to get down there for the winter, but I don't really have any Texas numbers, only CO and WY contacts.

Leave a comment:

• welderman23

• welderman23
    replied
    Originally posted by paulrbrown View Post
    too bad you can't just buy a bag of pixie dust or something and go wala....
    oh BUT YOU CAN...

Leave a comment:

• davewarr

• davewarr
    replied
    Template online software

If you need printable templates go to

http://www.harderwoods.com/pipetemplate.php

and they will create a printable template

Leave a comment:

• Bob the Welder

• Bob the Welder
    replied
    Another great reference book is The Pipe Fitters Blue Book by W.V. Graves.
    ISBN 0-9708321-2-5.

Use it along with The Pipe Fitter's and Pipe Welder's Handbook that Aircraft Welder recommended and there isn't anything that you cannot do with a piece of pipe. The two books compliment each other very well and are very useful.

Leave a comment:

• Darmik
    replied
    Pipe cut outs

Try this site plate 'n' sheet developement

Leave a comment:

• Tex

• Tex
    replied
    Try "The Pipe Fitter's and Pipe Welder's Handbook" by Thomas W. Frankland
    ISBN0-02-802500-8. It's got tons of great information in a little 3x5 in book.
    I'd be interested to see that program that will print out templates though especially since I have to do some pipe welding in the near future.

Leave a comment:

• ndodds
    Guest replied
    chop sawing/ notching tubing

http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/tech/billavista/Links

Try the Link.......lots of good info including what angles to cut depending on tubing size.

Pirate 4X4 has lots of good stuff (even if your not a 4X4 guy)

Leave a comment:

• Andy

• Andy
    replied
    Here's a template maker that I built. Print out the 'ruler' to measure your tubing, then enter the tubing sizes. The printed ruler compensates for the scaling of your printer.
    http://nanosleep.dyndns.org/tubing/

Hope this helps
    -Andy

Leave a comment:

• paulrbrown

• paulrbrown
    replied
    That Pipemaster is slick, but a 12 inch is 700 clams.....I have used the 2 inchers, they are handy.....too bad you can't just buy a bag of pixie dust or something and go wala....can anyone post pictures of the divider way???? I am still kinda unclear on what was written, I once bought on of those all purpose wraparound gizmos, but lacked the grey matter to figure it out. Thanks, Paul

Leave a comment:

• 84ZMike

• 84ZMike
    replied
    You could use the cut until it fits and then wrap it with paper and cut it out.....then transfer the pattern to some sheet metal etc.......I saw that one on Xtreme 4x4.
    Good Luck,
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• Sparky C

• Sparky C
    replied
    Now thats slick.

Leave a comment:

• BigEd36
    replied
    Get a pipemaster, works for any angle you want.

Pipemaster website

Ed

Leave a comment:

• Sparky C

• Sparky C
    replied
    One way is to hold the pipe you are saddling 45 deg. to the base pipe, using a pair of divders and a soap stone attached to it, follow the contour of the base pipe with pointed leg of the divider while marking the saddle pipe with the soap stone leg. this works with same sized pipes or different sized pipes, and different angles. after you make one miter you can transfer that to template materials using center lines.

Leave a comment:

• Iron man

• Iron man
    replied
    You could buy a Joint jigger, its like a vise that holds the pipe at what angle you want and it has a drill chuck where you attach a hole saw of desired size
    then power it with a hand drill. They work well on thin pipe and on thick pipe if you have a good hole saw. but most hole saws are only good for mild steel or aluminum. dont last long on stainless. If you would like one you can find them alot of places ebay has them usually sell for about 65.00

Leave a comment:

Working...
X