Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sberry
    replied
    This was early, we got 2x now but stock several screws and buy 3/4 1/4x20 bolts and nuts by the bag and a 9 /64 bit and use them to install and replace so much of the plastic snap stuff too. Uses the same common tools, simple and secure and when we using them under cars spray the bolts with penetrating spray 4 installing, in fact we spray every bolt we install. Nothing here gets it dry.
    We stock lot of the other sizes but that is an example and the one posted is a poster case for a spring fender nut. Click image for larger version

Name:	screw drill 1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	597.2 KB
ID:	620843 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolt cart.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	593.3 KB
ID:	620844 Click image for larger version

Name:	nuts and bolts.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	620845
    Last edited by Sberry; 06-29-2022, 07:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    Unless I am missing something this looks easy enough to drill a small hole and nut thru the other hole? Could be secure instead of some other cheap hardware cobble up?

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Back to my original response.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    Wayyyy tooo complicated and too much "ordering" everything a guy can read about when a simple nut and bolt would do.

Leave a comment:

• cubangt
    replied
    Ok so finally found my calipers and here is what im trying to find.. so the threaded inserts that i tried to use for the customers install measure in at 9.47mm, so im not really concerned so much with the bolt that will be used, i just need a threaded insert that is bigger in size(shaft size) than 9.47mm ( im pretty sure they are categorized as 9.5mm)

I just placed another order for some threaded inserts as well as screw collapse style rivets so maybe i can finally get these done right for the customer.

Leave a comment:

• cubangt
    replied
    thats what im currently using or trying to use, but open to other suggestions.. i ordered an assortment of other threaded rivet inserts and should arrive this week, but if there is something better to consider id love to hear about it so i can try it out.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    What kind of threaded inserts are we talking about here? Are you using rivet nuts?

Leave a comment:

• cubangt
    replied
    Yea i noticed once i posted what i had said.. ive been working with 3/16 flat bar this week on my orders, so probably thru that into the mix..
    So yes the threaded inserts i tried that are just barely big enough to grab hold are 1/4 inserts.. i need something slightly larger than that to better grab the opening.. i was looking at metric and seems that maybe something 7mm or 8mm then?

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Originally posted by cubangt View Post
    ... I have looked and all the inserts i have found jump from 1/4 up to 5/16... does anyone know if there is a 3/16 or something just slightly larger than the 1/4 insert that i can use or find so i can order?

I found some "threaded weld nuts" that look like they may work, but not sure how i can keep the nut from spinning while tightening the bolt down.

I was also looking at maybe switching over to Metric threaded inserts, and picking up some 10mm and 12mm inserts to see if that would work, since those are slightly larger than the 1/4 insert and may grab onto the opening better
    Lots of things don't add up here. 3/16 is smaller than 1/4. In between 1/4 and 5/16 would be 9/32.

If you switch to metric, yes, the slightly different sizes will give you some more variety. But 1/4" is on par with 6mm.

If you are discussing bolt sizes or wrench sizes, stay consistent.

Leave a comment:

• cubangt
    replied
    well im back on this again.. so i have used a combination of threaded inserts to the toggle that work.. But i ran into a problem this past weekend...i have 1/4 inserts and 5/16 inserts and the 1/4 worked on one hole, but not the same hole on the other side of the truck.. so in that case i had to use the toggle, BUT would like to find an insert that would fit and work better.. I have looked and all the inserts i have found jump from 1/4 up to 5/16... does anyone know if there is a 3/16 or something just slightly larger than the 1/4 insert that i can use or find so i can order?

I found some "threaded weld nuts" that look like they may work, but not sure how i can keep the nut from spinning while tightening the bolt down.

I was also looking at maybe switching over to Metric threaded inserts, and picking up some 10mm and 12mm inserts to see if that would work, since those are slightly larger than the 1/4 insert and may grab onto the opening better

other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I said drill a hole, not cut it with a chainsaw. I’d be pretty pissed too if somebody tore up my frame. But if the OP is that worried about liability then he probably shouldn’t do any of this work at all. If you get paid to do work, that makes you a “professional” and your work should reflect that. Meaning, don’t do something that’s dumb. If you’re going to be in business and work on other people’s stuff, maybe consider some insurance as well to protect your own stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, to solve my problem at the time would have made used a common fender spring clip and drilled a bolt hole next to it. Would have never known it wasnt there forever and give it a shot of penetrating spray when I tighten it down. I might have simply drilled hole next to it and use simple bolt and washer, install nut thru hole.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    Some places a guy could drill a hole, I agree a guy wants to be modest here and not have it look like it was attacked with a chain saw. I got a coffee can full of concrete flat wall tie tabs after we bust them off. They have a slotted hole and good for a lot of stuff. Weld to them, weld nuts to them. I have done bunch of customn install and when I did I get the right fasteners and often better. Today use a lot of common 1/4 20 mild steel, cost a nickle vs some of that plastic stuff and holds so well as well as easy to stock and several kinds of self drillers.
    Nothing as good sometimes as figuring how to get at it nut and bolt.
    I am not working on new cars though, my people trust me, they understand drilling a common hole.
    I will say,,, that is a great aftermarket idea though.

Leave a comment:

• cubangt
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    I believe I would make that hole go all the way through. Is there some reason you don’t want to do that other than you don’t want to do that?
    Personally dont want to modify the customers vehicle, when they hear you say, i need to drill a few holes in your car/truck, they don't want you to do anything else. AND i def dont want to be held responsible for anything they may say was caused by the hole...

When i do my truck, if i need to, ill consider it, but for now looking for solutions that dont require making or modifying the vehicle

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I believe I would make that hole go all the way through. Is there some reason you don’t want to do that other than you don’t want to do that?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X