Question regarding boat trailer with rusted cross tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding boat trailer with rusted cross tubes

I noticed and liked a post from psacustomcreations, which involved turning down a job to fix a rusty trailer frame.

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/1...91#post8840491

It got me thinking about a job that I turned down last year. It was a boat trailer that was worth about $6k. One of the bent cross tubes had been welded with a fish plate in the past and was now cracked. The problem that I saw was that the crack would allow water to enter the tube and rust it out from the inside. I turned down the job, but I was wondering if it could be repaired by replacing the entire cross tube with a tube that was bent from the steel supplier. I would have to check that other tubes weren't rusted from the inside and thinned down as well. Here is a picture of the tube.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20. Rusted cross tube.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	618888

What are your thoughts?

-Don
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Lincoln LE 31 MP
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Clausing/Colchester 15" Lathe
    16" DoAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Yes it could be fixed. Have someone bend it or you could either heat and bend or make a few pie cuys then bend and weld. Wouldn't have to be exact, just functional. As far as seeing if there thin spots I would just use my chipping hammer and bang around to see. The rusty section is where water can accumulate because it's a low spot.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Comment

Another option might be to cut out the section of tube and if it's only rusty there, just replace that section.
      MM250
      Trailblazer 250g
      22a feeder
      Lincoln ac/dc 225
      Victor O/A
      MM200 black face
      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
      Arco roto-phase model M
      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
      Miller spectrum 875
      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
      Syncrowave 250
      RCCS-14

Comment

The inside of that tube....is bare metal.........if it's been anywhere near salt water it's toast.....even clear water will rust an unprotected metal tube inside....the only way to fix is replace and there are kits out there to fog the tube inners with a rust preventive paint......Go aluminum or get it galvanized.....but it seems no matter what you do the next rusted area is just a moment away from exposure and liability if you were tasked to fix it...

Comment

I’m in the replace the whole tube boat. By the time you poke around and cut-n-patch, you could’ve just excised the cancer and replaced it with new.

Comment

I see how Don is,,,,, takes the easy ones. Ha

Comment

Working...
            X