• Show
Clear All

• jjohn76
    replied
    Thank you Ryan!

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    DuPont Molykote 4 electrical insulating compound. I have a whole tube of it if you need some, just give a holler.

The O-scope is a Tektronix 453. It works!

Leave a comment:

• jjohn76
    replied
    No worries Ryan. Please don't go out of your way for that...
    ​​​

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I haven’t forgot about ya, John. I actually got the stuff out but keep forgetting to post it. I’m on a remote job today, so I’ll try and remember when I get home.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I’ll check when I get back in the shop on Monday, I’ve been out of pocket climbing antenna towers all day.

The O-scope is an old one. It was given to me but it’s a good start I think. I need to find a way to practice with it. Watching YouTube and reading only holds my attention for so long.

Leave a comment:

• jjohn76
    replied
    Ryan, what is the name of the goo you found? I am curious what it's material properties are...

Leave a comment:

• jjohn76
    replied
    Usually those modules are built with an isolation from the heatsink, but from the looks of that board, the heatsink is not isolated. Which oscilloscope did you pick up?

Either way, that machine is probably good for a second life, hopefully at least 8 years. That is still a pretty long time for what it is though - a ton of power and fancy features stuffed into a very small box...

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    On that board, the IGBTs stick through the plastic and aluminum housing and go through the board and are soldered on the front side. The box is on the backside of the board. Then the mounting screws go through the board, housing and into the heat sink behind the board.

Other than that, it appears typical as far as I can tell, but I’m not inside welding machines like you are normally. A few through mount components and the rest are itty bitty surface mount stuff. I did replace a capacitor on another board that was suspect but it actually turned out to be fine. I tossed it anyway.

I didn’t have an o-scope at the time, so I couldn’t continue on my path to repair, but I have one now. Unfortunately I took some frustration out on that board before it went to its final resting place, so that’s that.

But I have a tube of that sticky goo if anyone needs some!

Leave a comment:

• jjohn76
    replied
    Ryan, so sorry I missed this thread. I typically only check the Welding Discussions and not the Welding Projects until I get ready for a project...

Anyways, it's tough to find that silicone encapsulating gel. It doesn't really make sense in that application since the internal components are already discrete/encased in epoxy, but I guess those engineers found it a benefit. I have never seen discrete/separate IGBTs packaged like that before...

I haven't seen the inside of those machines, how much is directly soldered to the board(s)?

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    A couple of small jobs in now and she seems to be choochin along no problem. I’m still on market for a replacement for this machine. I had some serious sticker shock on new, mainstream machines.

Leave a comment:

• Ltbadd
    replied
    Good news Ryan, keep us posted

Leave a comment:

• Don52
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    New board seems to have done the trick. I have a Subaru aluminum wheel to weld up in the morning, so that’ll be a good test.
    Great news, I hope that it works.

-Don

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    New board seems to have done the trick. I have a Subaru aluminum wheel to weld up in the morning, so that’ll be a good test.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Board is supposed to ship to me today. Hopefully it works. If it does, I’ll probably sell this machine.

Leave a comment:

• Don52
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    New board in bound. 2 weeks out.
    Hopefully they send you the correct board and it solves the problem.

-Don

Leave a comment:

Working...
X