• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don52
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    New board in bound. 2 weeks out.
    Hopefully they send you the correct board and it solves the problem.

-Don

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    New board in bound. 2 weeks out.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Finally got some time to invest in this repair. Everything went smoothly, all the components went in just fine and the machine powers up and is stable. Unfortunately it has no weld output on AC or DC tig or stick. No HF either. The HTP guys seem stumped too so we sent some test results off to Stel in an RFI. Hopefully they can lend some advise.

But I’ve learn a lot and bought a good soldering iron that I’ve been wanting for a good long while.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    7 years under moderate use I’d say. Maybe even light use since I have other machines. To replace the entire unit is just under $3k now.

We’ll see how it goes. I’ve finally rounded up everything I need to make the repair attempt, so it should be in a week or so when I can get to it.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    How long did it last? I havs done a lot of fixes last longer than the original. If this works you have little in it, see how long it goes. This aint the only welder ever broke. Whats it cost to replace?
    not a lot of point in spending 2x so it might last 2x as long, and considering inflation, improvements, tomorrows dollars might not pay at 4x as long?
    Last edited by Sberry; 12-19-2021, 03:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ltbadd
    replied
    yea but ya gotta like the doofloppies and seebeedeebers

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Well that end, considering how long it lasted the first time, may not be long enough for me. I’m just fortunate that I have other machines to do this work, but this was my only machine with all the doofloppies and seebeedeebers to make it do fancy stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    If i got it working would run it to the end.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Well I hope I can get these IGBTs back in, refill the schmoo, button it up and she chooches like new, for a while at least. But my luck, there’s some other part on the board that caused the IGBTs to quit on me and when I put power back to the machine she’ll just let the smoke out again. That’s the likely outcome. Then I’ll be in it for a new board because I need this machine. But if I replace the board, I’ll probably put this machine up for sale and get something else in its place. I hold grudges.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    We were standing around a while back and gonna fiddle with an old car, a turn sig switch maybe. Its an old car and depreciated but its gotta work and the store in now only 10 minutes each way so,, they got it 28$ as I recall, I just check which I usually do. 20 minutes in a car if I wanna fix it which I do as we are picking our nose a little and wanna get past it so,, I pull it out, look a second and hand it to my bud and turns out it had some dirt in it and a pin or contact or something bent. Rest of it like new, had it back in my hand in about 10 minutes while I got a coffee.
    Sometimes I ask,,,, how long? Not everyone fully appreciates parts repairs. We used to fix tv and vcr, wouldnt dream of that kind of service repair today and often not even to expensive sets.
    But I cant run to the store everytime something doesnt start and buy a replacement part, the cost, the time. We fix a fuel reg to a gen set today, I didnt look ebay for replacement. Didnt look for a "kit", it came apart fine and turns out there was a bug got in it.
    Last edited by Sberry; 12-16-2021, 03:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Larry Lincoln.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	618593 It sucks, I miss not being able to toss it on the bench or have someone over my head take a look. I went to the problem on a job today, took me a little longer but resisted the temptation to call for help and got thru it.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I am trying to keep it alive here so we stray a little. My way back Bud has lived here a couple times and recently left to live in the city with a sister. When he wants to be is one of the best hands on mechanics even real engineers would appreciate. Got a gift for "putting his finger" on the problem. I have seen real smart people over think it but listen to an engine and determine the timing key had sheared and slipped up or some hose you cant even see on the back and be able to rewire gobs of controls etc.
    I dont really call the heating guy or the machine maker etc or the dealer, I got a tech I have take a look see when I need a mind greater than my own.
    Note the record player with the wire, as I recall this was for some obsolete transformer. We got quite a collection but something strange as I recall we couldnt find maybe. Made a repair to some board with a wall wart transformer not too long ago. Click image for larger version

Name:	Larry trans wind.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	618591

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Larry trans wind.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.2 KB ID:	618589 I am trying to keep it alive here so we stray a little. My way back Bud has lived here a couple times and recently left to live in the city with a sister. When he wants to be is one of the best hands on mechanics even real engineers would appreciate. Got a gift for "putting his finger" on the problem. I have seen real smart people over think it but listen to an engine and determine the timing key had sheared and slipped up or some hose you cant even see on the back and be able to rewire gobs of controls etc.
    I dont really call the heating guy or the machine maker etc or the dealer, I got a tech I have take a look see when I need a mind greater than my own.
    Note the record player with the wire, as I recall this was for some obsolete transformer. We got quite a collection but something strange as I recall we couldnt find maybe. Made a repair to some board with a wall wart transformer not too long ago.
    Last edited by Sberry; 12-16-2021, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Thanks BH.

Leave a comment:

• Burnt hands
    replied
    The clear stuff might be conformal coating.
    We it to cover PC boards which were going to be used in
    very humid and hostile environments.

Used xylene to thin it before it cured but after it cured only mechanical means worked.
    Dremel with a wire or bristle brush seemed best to get it off without too much damage to board.
    Believe it was made by Corning but don't know the number.

Good luck

Leave a comment:

Working...
X