No announcement yet.

HTP 221 took a dive yesterday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that end, considering how long it lasted the first time, may not be long enough for me. I’m just fortunate that I have other machines to do this work, but this was my only machine with all the doofloppies and seebeedeebers to make it do fancy stuff.

Comment

yea but ya gotta like the doofloppies and seebeedeebers
      Richard
      West coast of Florida

Comment

How long did it last? I havs done a lot of fixes last longer than the original. If this works you have little in it, see how long it goes. This aint the only welder ever broke. Whats it cost to replace?
        not a lot of point in spending 2x so it might last 2x as long, and considering inflation, improvements, tomorrows dollars might not pay at 4x as long?
        Last edited by Sberry; 12-19-2021, 02:12 PM.

Comment

7 years under moderate use I’d say. Maybe even light use since I have other machines. To replace the entire unit is just under $3k now.

We’ll see how it goes. I’ve finally rounded up everything I need to make the repair attempt, so it should be in a week or so when I can get to it.

Comment

Finally got some time to invest in this repair. Everything went smoothly, all the components went in just fine and the machine powers up and is stable. Unfortunately it has no weld output on AC or DC tig or stick. No HF either. The HTP guys seem stumped too so we sent some test results off to Stel in an RFI. Hopefully they can lend some advise.

But I’ve learn a lot and bought a good soldering iron that I’ve been wanting for a good long while.

Comment

New board in bound. 2 weeks out.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                New board in bound. 2 weeks out.
                Hopefully they send you the correct board and it solves the problem.

-Don
                Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
                Miller Dynasty 200DX
                Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
                Lincoln LE 31 MP
                Lincoln 210 MP
                Clausing/Colchester 15" Lathe
                16" DoAll Saw
                15" Drill Press
                7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
                20 Ton Arbor Press
                Bridgeport

Comment

Board is supposed to ship to me today. Hopefully it works. If it does, I’ll probably sell this machine.

Comment

New board seems to have done the trick. I have a Subaru aluminum wheel to weld up in the morning, so that’ll be a good test.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                      New board seems to have done the trick. I have a Subaru aluminum wheel to weld up in the morning, so that’ll be a good test.
                      Great news, I hope that it works.

-Don
                      Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
                      Miller Dynasty 200DX
                      Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
                      Lincoln LE 31 MP
                      Lincoln 210 MP
                      Clausing/Colchester 15" Lathe
                      16" DoAll Saw
                      15" Drill Press
                      7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
                      20 Ton Arbor Press
                      Bridgeport

Comment

Good news Ryan, keep us posted
                        Richard
                        West coast of Florida

Comment

A couple of small jobs in now and she seems to be choochin along no problem. I’m still on market for a replacement for this machine. I had some serious sticker shock on new, mainstream machines.

Comment

Ryan, so sorry I missed this thread. I typically only check the Welding Discussions and not the Welding Projects until I get ready for a project...

Anyways, it's tough to find that silicone encapsulating gel. It doesn't really make sense in that application since the internal components are already discrete/encased in epoxy, but I guess those engineers found it a benefit. I have never seen discrete/separate IGBTs packaged like that before...

I haven't seen the inside of those machines, how much is directly soldered to the board(s)?

Comment

On that board, the IGBTs stick through the plastic and aluminum housing and go through the board and are soldered on the front side. The box is on the backside of the board. Then the mounting screws go through the board, housing and into the heat sink behind the board.

Other than that, it appears typical as far as I can tell, but I’m not inside welding machines like you are normally. A few through mount components and the rest are itty bitty surface mount stuff. I did replace a capacitor on another board that was suspect but it actually turned out to be fine. I tossed it anyway.

I didn’t have an o-scope at the time, so I couldn’t continue on my path to repair, but I have one now. Unfortunately I took some frustration out on that board before it went to its final resting place, so that’s that.

But I have a tube of that sticky goo if anyone needs some!

Comment

Usually those modules are built with an isolation from the heatsink, but from the looks of that board, the heatsink is not isolated. Which oscilloscope did you pick up?

Either way, that machine is probably good for a second life, hopefully at least 8 years. That is still a pretty long time for what it is though - a ton of power and fancy features stuffed into a very small box...

Comment

Working...
                                X