HTP 221 took a dive yesterday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTP 221 took a dive yesterday.

Turned on my machine, turned on the argon, grabbed my torch lead and went to uncoil it and something went POW!! Breaker was tripped. Reset everything, machine was dead. Popped the sides off looking for something obvious, found what I thought to be a popped capacitor but it has since checked ok. Sent an email to HTP, ran some tests they sent me and found the primary power PCB to be dead. It’s a $500 board. No repair parts available. This machine is at least 7 years old but not more than 10. I’m disappointed in this failure while my 47 year old 330 is choochin just fine still.
    Attached Files

Hey Ryan, I see in another thread you bought some IGBT's. I'm assuming you're going to try and repair your board. I haven't seen Aeronca or some of the other electrical folks here lately, but I'm sure they would be happy to help you out. I'm sticking with my 20 yr. old MIG. At least if it lets out the magic smoke, repair should be a somewhat simpler affair. Good luck!
    Last edited by Metjunkie; 11-23-2021, 05:34 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

Hey Ryan, sorry to hear about this. Afraid I can't offer any help...I don't know if Oscar visits here anymore, I know he might have a suggestion and he is active on Welding Web forum
      Richard
      West coast of Florida

Comment

Ya I sent a pic to Wayne and he helped me find replacement parts. $20 for 10 of them, that gives me two and a half chances at getting it right!

The HTP folks walked me through some testing and are confident that slapping a new board in there is safe, so I’ll try and repair this one first before I drop a $500 gamble.

The IGBTs were pretty much submerged in this clear, sticky goo inside their mounting box. I haven’t been able to identify it yet. If I can’t figure out what it is, I’m just going to fill it with some thermal paste and hope for the best.

Comment

At 10 years its depreciated if you havebeen making money with it. 47 years ago the 330 cost a lot of money, 10 years ago the hpt not so much andf even tossing 500 at it if it works isnt all that big of deal if it goes another 5.
          n I had a bud stop and ask about repair to an importhe bought for 5 or 600, maybe650 5 years ago. They want 300 for a part and I tell him,,,, spend 500 they are new now and it cost 100 a year till the warranty runs out.

Comment

I am regretting a new chain saw we bought, big brand 800$ and really made a mistake in not going to HF or Menards and getting the biggest import line pos they have. We have brand battery saw and we bought another aftermarket the other day and like it so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
              I am regretting a new chain saw we bought, big brand 800$ and really made a mistake in not going to HF or Menards and getting the biggest import line pos they have. We have brand battery saw and we bought another aftermarket the other day and like it so much better.
              Battery saws huh?, just haven't gotten there yet.....Still running my little Stihl MS 200T which is a arborist top handle saw w/ 14" bar....8 lbs one of the last saws to be made from Magnesium in Germany.. 2.5 HP and a real wood eater in the tree or on the ground. Yes I have bigger saws with longer blades.....but this little guy will go anywhere and Cut!

Comment

I love those little saws.

Comment

Anyone have any idea what this sticky, snot like clear schmoo is that surrounds these IGBTs in their nifty little box? It’s something separate from the thermal paste, that’s there too, but this fills the void in between the components.

Comment

Maybe just something to absorb vibration and keep things from moving and breaking their solder joints.

Give us a pic. We like to look at snot.

Comment

I tried to post a picture with the last post. Let’s see if this one goes through....

Comment

Still doesn’t look like it’s posting up. If you take a look in the last picture in my original post, you can see the clear stuff surrounding the IGBTs. If you touch that stuff, it sticks to your finger and strings out.

Comment

Trying again....

Comment

Working...
                          X