Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pietromarruggio
    replied

for cumbersome jobs, I use the classic easels, as our grandparents blacksmiths did, if some friends maybe make some table some particular bench with clamps clamps to block like template, I invite you to post the photos and share the project, maybe it could be useful for some friends welder user of the forum thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I am a bolt to the floor guy if i can.

Leave a comment:

• tarry99
    replied
    Originally posted by Sberry View Post
    Yours is a work of art. You have lots extra but got some good features harder to spot due to some outstanding stuff. I was ai.ing a bit at the op to get a grip where he was at and make his investment practical at this point to get the utility and see where this goes before he sinks a lot in. My second bench would be lots different than first for sure.
    Thanks for the complement....Tho , I've had plenty of time over a few decades to think about what works and doesn't.....size? ( a component of shop size) if ya have the space big is better in a work bench....excluding it shouldn't be used for clutter either...Mobility? Yes , needs to be mobile , Flexibility? Yes.....and adaptability needs to serve in many functions. Storage? Yes and as you get older who wants to get on there hands & knees to grab something from below ? Height? Depends on the individual.....but adjustability is important....to get closer to the work. Strength? Absolutely even though the chassis is fairly light compared to the 1/2 ton plate.......and last this bench for the most part can be disassembled to either store or move.... held together by 1/4" bolts in shear. Click image for larger version

Name:	benchchassis3.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	766.7 KB
ID:	618368

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    Yours is a work of art. You have lots extra but got some good features harder to spot due to some outstanding stuff. I was ai.ing a bit at the op to get a grip where he was at and make his investment practical at this point to get the utility and see where this goes before he sinks a lot in. My second bench would be lots different than first for sure.

Leave a comment:

• tarry99
    replied
    Originally posted by Sberry View Post
    On some of those ready made jobs cant even use a common C clamp, no edge overhang, the number 1 most used feature on a fab table of this type. That stuff looks good for sales and marketing but if someone gave it to me would be looking to sell it or trade for a simple plate.
    Agreed...........The one I'm building has 12" of overhang on the long side / ends and 6" on the short side.....the field has it's own ability to clamp inside on a 6" grid.....The long ends will also have the ability to plug in other fixtures as needed like a vise and Pexto tools etc.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    On some of those ready made jobs cant even use a common C clamp, no edge overhang, the number 1 most used feature on a fab table of this type. That stuff looks good for sales and marketing but if someone gave it to me would be looking to sell it or trade for a simple plate.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I would make it 6 wider and 6 inches longer if I was starting over. Click image for larger version

Name:	bench sp door.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	618349 Click image for larger version

Name:	bench welder 4.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	618350

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    , Mine is literally scrap tacked together. I wouldnt mind a new top and if I was going to really do that would start over. It would be 3x3 angle leg and top stiffener and 4 inch side overhang, a cutting box on one end. and a slightly custom overhang on the other with a couple holes and a slot or 2. Shelf underneath one side and clamp hanger on the other. My vise on another modest bench bolted to the floor, dont care much about its design except for a place to lay and hang a few tools.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    That is a work of art. Its in a different league.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Fancy!

Leave a comment:

• tarry99
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	workbenchpgslides2.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	906.6 KB
ID:	618337 Click image for larger version

Name:	wookbenchPGslides.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	886.2 KB
ID:	618338 Welding / fixture tables are an investment in any well run multipurpose shop..........level, strong, able to fixture and attach things quickly and very multipurpose if you build them correctly........I've built many and building my last one right now.....4'x 8'x.750 thick....adjustable work height from 32" to 41" , 6" inch grid pattern w/ 5/8" holes, on HD casters with 6 screw jacks to level it anywhere in the shop......full pull 600 lb. 40" drawer slides below for storage.....and when your playing carpenter easy to secure a 4'x 8' sheet of plywood on top for those needs also... Click image for larger version

Name:	PGbench24.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	742.7 KB
ID:	618335 Click image for larger version

Name:	fixturetable done.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	618336

Leave a comment:

• pietromarruggio
    replied
    thanks for your useful advice, how would you do it?

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I agree with Ryan, some guys love it. I am throwing the nuts on the table and dont care for the specialized parts, I got enough stuff as it is without mixing that in with it. But,,,, it certainly can work. I also understand want and treating yourself,,, those are great reasons also.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I like what you have. I think you are somewhere near where you should be, in the process of improving but dont think there is real gain at this point for pricey parts. Its also a steel world,,, yes, I can do aluminum or stainless but cant even remember the last stainless and only reason I do alum is I have a lot of equipment most people do not have. On occasion a customer brings a piece but as I mention earlier I mke do some for that so all that stuff isnt in the way for the steel I do 999 jobs for 1 alloy.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    That looks pretty good. The main thing might be to add or set a new top on it with some overhang for clamping on one end or better end and side. I use same bench for all, I do keep grease and oil off though. I actually have and like 2 benches, one as a vise stand so to speak so the fab table doesnt have obstructions.
    Your bench is nice size, as I mention, new plate sit on top with overhang and make it longer on one end to change the shape a bit from square to rectangle. I dont like too big or wide, good to be able to reach over and get your tape you set on the other side and not so big you have to pack a lunch to walk around. Most things that get bigger I do on the floor on occasion. Obviously if I had a specialty would tailor to that but I am very general,,,, I rig up for the one off and get back to my general setup as soon as I can.
    Its easy to do a few things and think they will last forever and then the features get parked.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X