• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -welding-tables

-welding-tables
    https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41Mt7+hjW3L.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tools/comme...e_notcher_for/

guys, what do you think of these fixing tables, which is the best, I have seen one I do not remember where with the perforated metal top that the pins are fixed to position the pieces to be welded, some patient user friend would have built one by hand, I think that even if they are expensive they are useful and practical, they save the fixing and locking time, I think the work is cleaner, and avoid the distortion of the pieces during the cooling phase, am I wrong?

https://texasmetalworks.com/product/...welding-table/

https://youtu.be/31L4VTfFH1A

https://youtu.be/LHq-6EVeXa0

My take on this is about the same as it is with tig. There is a time and place for them, I understand some business and the hobby guyds that time and money are no object but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I got absolutely no use for one. I worked on a nuke they seemed to manage without and neverused one in a welding shop.
    I wanna add a disclaimer before someone blows a gasket and how much they use them and life is better but itys low on my list. I want a decent piece of plate with a bench underneath and a overhang to clamp to with a square corner. No holes, slots, all that and it really doesnt have to be perfectly flat,. I font want the firt, anything I spill, the soapstone falling thru, everything falling thru a slot or a hole.
    My bench is vital, it gets used for a lot and I want general wih common clamps, its hard enough to afford all that without parking a bunch of proprietary tooling has specialized use especially where 99% of the work is tacking one simple piece to another.
    I like 2 benches, a few ft apart and a vise on one, a full rotator if you are not a collector and want to work.

Comment

See that thing in pic 2,,, th Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt clip.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	589.2 KB
ID:	618269 is is what it is.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	benches holez.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	589.8 KB
ID:	618278 Got a guy comes here got wide eyed over a platten at a sale,,,, now he has it for sale a long time. I was in another shop a while back where the owner drag something back like that, has been in the way since, covered with stuff and the men use a common steel bench for the work. Mine are a cobble job and would be slightly different if they were done today and I am the only one notices its just scrap tacked together. If it didnt work so well I would make a new custom top but not holes or slots except for a couple simple ones in an overhang on one end. Over the last 30 years have used a couple holes and a slot would have been hard to predict and rarely use those.
        I rather have something I can fix or mod should it come up vs trying to predict every what if and if this is a working start up that stuff is expensive. Tracking, keeping track of all that stuff would outweigh the 6 minutes a week or a month it would save, I know there are guys rave and cant live without that but if a guy is starting work on collecting common clamps, hard to get too many 11R and common C. Look at the scars from 1000s of jobs this has managed to work for. Click image for larger version  Name:	clamp plow bench.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	618276 Click image for larger version  Name:	clamps plow.jpg Views:	0 Size:	598.9 KB ID:	618277 Click image for larger version  Name:	bench welder 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	618272
        Last edited by Sberry; 11-15-2021, 05:54 AM.

Comment

1000s of jobs on this. Should weld 2 of those 3 holes shut, havnt used them for 25 years, used once and since replaced with another vise on another bench. A plud for having something relatively simple is a guy doesnt need to be scared to change or adapt as it comes up,,,, get 1000s of $ in it and it becomes its own thing and fear of damage or change comes in. I will change something at any time if it works better, I rig up for 1 off jobs as they come vs trying to prepare too far ahead to ty to meet them, so much sits unused that way.
          I have a lot of wiring parked in the walls for what if and never use any of it, not some, none. By the time it gets there plans change, stuff becomes obsolete.You want it in a different spot. Click image for larger version  Name:	benches holes.jpg Views:	0 Size:	579.8 KB ID:	618280 Click image for larger version  Name:	benches holez.jpg Views:	0 Size:	589.8 KB ID:	618281
          Last edited by Sberry; 11-15-2021, 06:06 AM.

Comment

That kind of thing great for collectors, hobby types but I try to focus on common clamps, channelocks, vise grips, adjustable wrenches, hammers, common squares, few holesaws, good battery drills, sawzalls first.

Comment

Chrome is pretty but it doesnt make the car go faster. Just because its psychological doesnt mean its not real though. It can give a guy a reason to get out of bed in the morning. Professionals tend to know what they need and want. I try to lean on very broad experience witgh this and focus on guys gearing up, starting out, first need, return on it and really reflect more on mistakes I made vs some success, its a mix of both.
              But<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< made a lot of mistakes and part of it was sub standard mentorship in some way, Ibrought ideas home from the job, both good and bad and as a bud who is a real master stop and say the other day,,, that will work.
              This is something I use. Found the cart, added shelves from scrap, 2 hrs later its paid for and used EVERY day and sometimes every jobClick image for larger version

Name:	block rack.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	577.5 KB
ID:	618284

Comment

Get this before you get that, if you decide a while from now that you have a problem with 1000s falling out of your pocket its always gonna be there.

Comment

I should have bought a few more pieces along the way, Ironworker being another. But what happened was I had a fire just when I was on an upswing and I really got behind in some sense during the recovery. I had salvaged some/most of my tools and had a makeshift shop and did a couple big jobs out of it but while I did I really had to get innovative and started to get some grip on what it realy took and never replaced some stuff I had earlier, was moved down the list to simply not needing it.
                  Technology changed so much. Every once in a while I got to stop and figure out some complicated bolt hole but the tooling might be exotic anyway and using up a 15$ holesaw or even my electric drill a while back was cheaper fastewr and for the purpose as good as a line bore and I really dont wanna do that unless I have to anyway. I have so many hand versions that for one off I am done before most get it chucked up. I find as much of the work salvage as I can and dont need to stand in front of a lathe when I can sawzall a piece of tubing off, as Hawkeye said to Charles, not that were better, we have simply got faster with proven short cuts and repetition.

Comment

I cant even remember the last tuime I use a drill press. The modern battery drill was meant for drilling. but I have cut so many torch and plasma holes can thread then if I needed to,,, but can also clamp a plate to the bench and lean on a hand drill for small holes and so easy to reposition or use a vise that its easy after a while, its so simple its easy. There is a place for cnc plasma but 99% of it is simple zip a piece of sheet metal off and tack it to another one gets the work done and bring out the work with some paint after the fact if it needs to impress.
                    Buy machines when the reduction in time makes them pay. Mounting 1 tool box hand drill, dealer mounting equipment to truck frames pay for a mag drill before the next pay period.
                    Last edited by Sberry; 11-15-2021, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Maybe u got all of this, I recall some nice projects, a couple pics of existing shop etc helps a lot to see where a guy is coming from.
                      What I might do for some repetitious work is make up jigs on a plate/frame. I see one Ron from SFT did like that, was slick and UI did one building benches, simply tossed the plate all the fixtures were tacked to up on horses. Snap it all down with 4 11R, no easier better or mor accurate way even tossing 1000s at it would have slowed down.

Comment

You need to be accurate and that is a bit different than extreme precision. Lots of worn stuff can b made lots better cheap, perfect gets expensive. Bunch of the real work doesnt fit on a bench.

Comment

Very little fixture work not on the machine and one job i did this week involved repair a rust hole in pipe fitting, clam and hammer kind of stuff. My bench is a welding bench, it can be a fixture bench with clamps but its really a bench in the welding area. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211115_112306.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	618292 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211115_112353.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	618293

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211115_112412.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	618295 My bud tried to give me big ole power hacksaw the other day. I passed. My floor plan is precious and i spend a lot of effort removing things not used.

Comment

https://weldinginsider.com/best-welding-table/
                              https://www.saldogas.it/banchi-per-saldatura/

https://www.demmeler.com/it/prodotti...i-saldatura-3d

Thanks for your precious testimonials, I too, like you, have the classic bench with sheet metal top and tubular feet, when I have to carry out special works I have 2 iron trestles and on them I place a sheet of sheet metal, to tighten the pieces to be welded I use the elastic pliers and screw clamps, but I think that the system with the perforated bench and the pins could perhaps be faster, someone has made one perhaps with waste materials or has bought a professional one. ???

Comment

Working...
                              X