Repair of 12.5 Ton Log Splitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair of 12.5 Ton Log Splitter

In 2010 I repaired the slider bracket that attaches to the ram on my friend John's 12.5-ton log splitter, which was 1-1/2 years old at the time. In addition to full penetration TIG welds, I also increased the length of the diagonal brace. I believe that the root cause of the failure was a defective cold lap weld. Do you agree? The repaired bracket has held up 11 years and is still going strong after splitting thousands of logs.

1. Damaged Bracket on Log Splitter
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1. Damaged Bracket on Log Splitter.jpg Views:	2 Size:	68.5 KB ID:	618208

2. Full View of Broken Log Splitter
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2. Full View of Broken Log Splitter.jpg Views:	2 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	618209

3. Cold lap on right side
    Click image for larger version  Name:	3. Cold lap on right side.jpg Views:	2 Size:	72.9 KB ID:	618210

4. Rusted cold lap
    Click image for larger version  Name:	4. Rusted cold lap.jpg Views:	2 Size:	60.5 KB ID:	618211

5. Outside Weld
    Click image for larger version  Name:	5. Outside Weld.jpg Views:	2 Size:	45.9 KB ID:	618212
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Lincoln LE 31 MP
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Clausing/Colchester 15" Lathe
    16" DoAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

6. Side weld
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6. Side weld.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	618214

7. Bracket All Done

Name:	7. Bracket All Done.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	618215

8. The bracket today - 11 years later

Name:	8. The bracket today - 11 years later.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	618216

9. Full view today - 11 years later

Name:	9. Full view today - 11 years later.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	618217

-Don
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Lincoln LE 31 MP
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Clausing/Colchester 15" Lathe
    16" DoAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Comment

The failure was definitely in the welds but the cause, In my opinion, was the slider was too short. and/or may have been too tight and allowed it to bind on the guide plate and tip the slide slightly, sticking it to the beam. I don't see galling on the bottom of the slide so I would guess that it happened on the attached plates. If you think about what the slide does there should normally not be much pressure on that joint in that direction. I made a few splitters and the slides were about 22" long, if memory serves.

Anyway nice fix and it has stood the test of time.
      ---Meltedmetal

Comment

My 12 ton splitter had, when built, a 3-1/2" cylinder. At 2500 PSIG, that works out to 12 ton thrust. Marketing these days factor the added force of the wedge.

Nonetheless, mine has about a foot of length in the slide engaging the flat plate on the beam. Yours looks to my eye like it risks binding like a sticky drawer. Lube is important. I like bar & chain oil.

I was once hit in the face when a different splitter kicked a chunk up. I have a series of nuts welded around the perimeter of the push face to prevent slipping.
        Dynasty 280DX
        Bobcat 250
        MM252
        Spool gun
        Twentieth Century 295
        Twentieth Century 295 AC
        Marquette spot welder
        Smith torches

Comment

Working...
        X