Intake manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake manifold

I’m making a 2 into one manifold for a friend. The u-bend is slightly too wide, so that the ends do not mate up exactly to the intake ports. I don’t think I can bend the u bend a little more to get the right length or I suppose I can some out of the middle of the bend and weld it back up. It’s aluminum and I’d like for there not to be any obstruction from the penetration. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Comment

You’ll have to do some pie cuts, you can get any angle or lineup you want using that method. If you’ve never done it, I’d suggest you practice your cuts first. Use either 9 or 18 degree cuts. I prefer 9 degrees, but you get more lateral shift out of 18 degree cuts, but I doubt you’ll need much. It’s time consuming and can be confusing if you’ve never done it. I use a wood miter chop saw to cut aluminum and have been doing that with great success for years. I’ve done a fair amount of motorcycle intake and exhaust like this. As long as your cuts are all the same, you’ll be able to snake it around to get the exact lineup you need.

Comment

Are you saying to add a pie cut or some to the end of the bend so that it starts to curve inward?

Comment

Pie cuts can be clocked in any orientation to get whatever angle you want. All of your angles must be the same or it’ll get wonky on you.

Comment

Yup I totally get how they work. I’ve used em before. Not sure we’re on the same page. Thanks though!

Comment

how much wider is the u-bend
              Last edited by Electric4Life; 10-14-2021, 07:33 PM.

Comment

When it comes to custom work like you’re doing, it’s always the little things that cause the most trouble. In your case you need it just a tiny bit narrower and now you have to cut on a nice mandrel bent piece. What a pain.

Comment

It’s a 1/4 too wide. I ultimately decided to cut a 1/4 from the center of the bend and weld it back up. It’s going on more of a bobber not so much a performance bike so some obstruction from weld penetration will have to be okay for this one.

Comment

Working...
                  X