X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walker
    replied
    Originally posted by smawgmaw View Post

Unless I am mistaken, 6010 is mainly a dc rod, the op says he has a Miller ac buzz box. Some dc rods will work with an ac machine, but, many will not. I suggest he use the 6011 rod.
    I thought the A/C machine was 50 years ago. Pretty sure I wouldn’t want the additional shock risk of A/C welding in the water.

Leave a comment:

• smawgmaw
    replied
    Originally posted by walker View Post
    Just use 6010 (not 6011, as you are not using an A/C welder out there). Downhill is totally fine. No need to switch to 7018 afterward, just a couple passes with 6010 down and you are fine.
    Unless I am mistaken, 6010 is mainly a dc rod, the op says he has a Miller ac buzz box. Some dc rods will work with an ac machine, but, many will not. I suggest he use the 6011 rod.

Leave a comment:

• walker
    replied
    Just use 6010 (not 6011, as you are not using an A/C welder out there). Downhill is totally fine. No need to switch to 7018 afterward, just a couple passes with 6010 down and you are fine.

Leave a comment:

• Don52
    started a topic Help Required for Vertical Uphill Stick Welding

Help Required for Vertical Uphill Stick Welding

50 years ago all I had for welding was a Smith oxyacetylene torch and a Miller Thunderbolt A/C buzz box welder. I used the torch for welding sheet metal and the buzz box for everything thicker. For the arc welder, I used it almost exclusively in the flat position. I did very little out of position welding with it. During the summer I worked for my uncle’s asphalt paving company, so I actually did a fair amount of stick welding for repair, but again it was almost exclusively in the flat position.
    In recent years I have used MIG and TIG exclusively, with almost no stick welding. For out of position welding on thick plate I have used dual shield flux core wire.

Now I have an application for a friend and customer, where I have to weld some brackets to some pylons out on a dock. It makes sense to use the stick weld process (SMAW). The brackets are zinc dichromate plated and the pylons are painted. The pylon are 8-1/2” in diameter tube with a 5/16” wall. The top plate of the brackets are 1/4” thick. The brackets have two vertical plates one is 1/2” and the other is 1/4”.

The following two pictures show the one bracket welded to a pylon. The required weld location is shown in purple.

Click image for larger version

Name:	weld view1.JPG
Views:	518
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	615431

Name:	weld view 2.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	615432

The last two pictures shows the location of the brackets to be welded relative to the dock.

Name:	Hoist site view.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	615433

Name:	Don the welder.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	615434

My plan is to first grind off the plating from the brackets and grind off the paint from the pylons in the area to be welded. I was planning on running the first pass with 6011 or 6010 rods for good penetration and to burn through any remaining contamination. The second pass I was planning on using 7018 rods.
    I have watched Jody’s videos and have been practicing vertical up hill fillet welds on both 1/4” and 1/2” plates with both 1/8” and 5/32” 6011 rods, but could use some help, from someone near Troy MI, who is proficient in vertical up hill welding with 6011 or 6010 rods. I would like them to watch me weld and give me pointers and show me on how to improve.

-Don

Working...
X