No announcement yet.

Help Required for Vertical Uphill Stick Welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mocked up the weld to develop and verify the welding parameters. I used a whip and pause using 1/8ā€ 6011 rod, followed by a small ā€œUā€ shaped weave using a 5/32ā€ 7018 rod for the 2nd pass.

13. Bevel on top plate

Click image for larger version  Name:	13. Bevel on top plate.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.2 KB ID:	615583

14. Groove weld for 1st pass
    Click image for larger version  Name:	14. Groove weld for 1st pass.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.8 KB ID:	615584

15. Fillet weld for 2nd pass
    Click image for larger version  Name:	15. Fillet weld for 2nd pass.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.1 KB ID:	615585

In the following picture you can see that there is pretty good penetration on the weld. There is a little undercut on the top of the weld.

16. Etch of weld
    Click image for larger version  Name:	16. Etch of weld.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.7 KB ID:	615586

I directed the arc to favor the upper plate and hesitated a little on the top and eliminated the undercut.

17. Got rid of top undercut
    Click image for larger version  Name:	17. Got rid of top undercut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.5 KB ID:	615587

Last edited by Don52; 06-23-2021, 08:58 PM.
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Lincoln LE 31 MP
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Clausing/Colchester 15" Lathe
    16" DoAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Comment

I have done enough uphill welds that I find that they are getting easier.

18. Vertical uphill welds are getting easier.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	18. Vertical up hill welds are getting easier.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	615589

-Don
      Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
      Miller Dynasty 200DX
      Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
      Lincoln LE 31 MP
      Lincoln 210 MP
      Clausing/Colchester 15" Lathe
      16" DoAll Saw
      15" Drill Press
      7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
      20 Ton Arbor Press
      Bridgeport

Comment

They are things of beauty,. This is what really makes a welder. Its something really cant be faked. After a while getting rid of the undercut becomes rather automatic.

Comment

I got a story about this. Way back in my sprout days I went on a plant job and they had decided to use their people to test the welders. It used to be open butt vert and oh and they wanted to cheapen the test so they went to a T on a couple plates and back bend break it in a press. 3 passes. Guy named Ted giving it, not that I was any better but Ted was an older knob used to chain smoke Salems. He fancied himself a real welder but I ran one of the plates like it was sposed to be, maybe the oh but the other one I fuss with and find one with a bevel and when he left for a bit I whack a little on the grinder and tip the gap open.
          when he wasnt looking I super melted the root in with lo hy, melted dam near thru it and ran a second cover over. It wasnt real pretty and he made some comment and said the proof would come when he broke it. I can still see tyhe sweat and the worked up red face. Had to redo the jig and was still working on it when I left, he said something to my boss later about the oh was good but the vert was sketchy, I dont remember exact except still have this pic in my mind of the smoke coming thru his ears while working the press. It flattened right out. m My buf had followed me and said he threw it on the floor a couple times.
          I actually ran in to him 10 yrs later when I was running a bar while the owners vacation. I dont think he recognized me and I didnt say anything. I didnt want him blowing a gasket which I heard he did not too long after. Heard he took the wife to dinner at some place he was tapping the barmaid.
          Last edited by Sberry; 06-24-2021, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X