Rewiring a 115/230v motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewiring a 115/230v motor

Would like to beef up the performance a little to match the stand for a 1970's CZERWENY belt sander with a 115/230v 60Hz motor.
    It had a 2 prong 115v plug on it and ran fine but start-up was a bit slow so I've changed the plug and cord in preparation for the switch to 230v (30amp)

Currently (pictured) 115v

What do I change for 230v

Thank you
    Attached Files

Well Normally all the USA motors are pretty consistent with terminal #'s and color coded wires to switch voltage if they can be..........Argentina? who knows other than it seems as if the voltage and HZ is compatible.

Comment

I'm hoping one of the gentlemen I had in mind sees this. They would be able to take one look at this and know exactly what needs to be changed (without diagrams)....

Comment

Might have to chase the wires internally ?

Comment

I was hoping jjohn76 or someone with his knowledge would come across this post.
          I barely snuck into this topic, if I get desperate I may throw another into the discussions side of things.

Comment

I responded to your PM. Biggest thing first is to figure out which colors are from the same winding. Disconnect the colored wires from the terminals and measure resistance between each of the three colored terminals on the left with each of the three on the right. Two pairs will read almost zero resistance. Those are your main windings. The other pair should be your start winding, and will read a high resistance because you're measuring across the start cap. Let us know which colors are paired on a winding and we can go from there.

Comment

Thank you Jon. I will respond with results later tomorrow.

Comment

I appreciate the help gentlemen

https://www.powerjackmotion.com/improve-performance-electric-motor/

Comment

The thing to consider here is will you get what you expect? The main reason to make a change is that its blowing a breaker and possibly in constant use.
                  Not every idea one reads about that applies in industrial is great or worthy of the effort at home and how to do somethiung isnt always a great answer to a question if that makes sense. What does this motor do, whats it on, how often used? Does it now require a special circuit and is the over current correct for it? So much is so simple on 120V, I dont change everything I can.
                  Last edited by Sberry; 06-02-2021, 07:35 AM.

Comment

You will not "beef up" the performance. It wont hurt but there wont be any gain.

Comment

Slow starting was the issue but it wasn't tripping any breakers. I looked into improving the operation and didn't realize that link had been pasted into the body of the thread. Disregard that link. It wasn't meant to be posted.

Comment

If its not tripping and not being started under extreme load causing tripping why mess with it, some slow starting is all right vs just ripping its guts out at every start. There are a couple issues to consider when changing and not every 240V is designed to be connected to 30A.
                        If its working with a factory cord I am not messing with it and I CAN. Its a gift the way it is.

Comment

This may help a bit

https://woodgears.ca/motors/voltage.html

https://wiringdiagram.2bitboer.com/1...iring-diagram/

https://www.dentistmitcham.com/singl...gram-database/

Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Working...
                          X