When a homebuilt trailer fails...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When a homebuilt trailer fails...

I can't tell you how frequently I see homebuilt trailers with a solid axle welded to the frame without spring suspension. This fatigues the spindle and lugs and can lead to catastrophic separation. Manufactured axles are not immune to this type of failure when installed incorrectly this way. Most of the time, it only causes property damage. Not today... it was 3 school kids.
    A tire ricocheted off the school building and into three students.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

That is terrible news but from the report, I did not see or hear that it was a homemade trailer with the solid axle welded to the frame without spring suspension. Do you have more info on the accident?
    A FEW OF MY TOYS !!!

MX Linux
    LinuxMint

Miller Roughneck 2E
    Lincoln Weldpak 100
    Gianttech Arc 200
    Victor O/A

Comment

I don't watch someone read to me. Are there any written articles about it?

Comment

I don’t think I have ever seen a trailer made that way. Why don’t you take a picture every time you see one and post it. I don’t even recall seeing one like that in the trailer fails thread.

Comment

I’ve seen a few car haulers at the drag strip made like that. Guys want the deck dropped as low as they can so the ramps are shorter and it’s easier to load a lowered car without tearing stuff up.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
            I’ve seen a few car haulers at the drag strip made like that. Guys want the deck dropped as low as they can so the ramps are shorter and it’s easier to load a lowered car without tearing stuff up.
            That’s not too bad since the load is sprung on the trailer. I agree a solid axel trailer isn’t a good idea generally.

Comment

Ya, purpose built trailers and those guys generally take pretty good care of their stuff. The last thing want is to break that expensive toy they’re hauling around!

Comment

Working...
              X