Gantry I-Beam suggestions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gantry I-Beam suggestions needed

My wife wants me to build a gantry in our carport so that she can hang her thai style punching bag. We don't want to hang it from one of the ceiling joists as I imagine the bouncing and swinging of that weight would not be good for our home.

My plan is to build a pretty standard looking gantry with a span of 13'

I will use an I-beam across the top and 4x4x3/16 square tube to hold it up along with 3x3x3/16 square tube supports. I have almost no experience with I-beams and the load that they can handle. I would like to use a small i-beam such as a w 4 x 13 but I'm unsure if this will be plenty to hold a 100-200 lb bag in the center without bending and bouncing around or if I will need to go bigger. I would like to avoid going with a w 5 x 16 as its more than twice as expensive and I'm trying to keep as much clearance in the carport as possible.

Anyone here have recommendations? will a w 4 work just fine with a 13' span? In an ideal world I would be able to occasionally use the gantry for other projects but definitely will not need to lift more than 600lbs or so.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-...ane-41188.html

I would go to your local Harbor Freight store and look at this one for ideas.

Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt hands View Post

And bring a 20% off coupon.........you can't even buy the materials cheaper than they sell them.........and they work!!

Comment

Here is a chart.--------------- https://www.harringtonhoists.com/tec...67%20rev02.pdf

I guess this doesn't help to much as it doesn't go light enough.
        Last edited by MMW; 03-23-2021, 07:40 PM.
        MM250
        Trailblazer 250g
        22a feeder
        Lincoln ac/dc 225
        Victor O/A
        MM200 black face
        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
        Arco roto-phase model M
        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
        Miller spectrum 875
        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
        Syncrowave 250
        RCCS-14

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt hands View Post

I appreciate the idea and I agree that, in a different scenario, I would be easier and not much more expensive than fabricating it myself. Unfortunately, I need it to span the entire 13' of our carport so that I can still get a car in and out and also so that my wife has enough space to circle it while training. I think it would be a bit tight at 7.5' wide.

Comment

That beam just bolts up to the top of those uprights......and if your not planning on carrying weight at or near capacity you could just scab / bolt on Click image for larger version

Name:	gantry.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	614197 Click image for larger version

Name:	gantry2.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	646.4 KB
ID:	614198 another length of beam on one end and extend it a few more feet very easy....The uprights are heavy and do take a few guys to stand them up when assembled.....I extended mine out to 102" by just changing the hole locations in both the beam and top plate...

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
              That beam just bolts up to the top of those uprights......and if your not planning on carrying weight at or near capacity you could just scab / bolt on Click image for larger version

Name:	gantry.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	614197 Click image for larger version

Name:	gantry2.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	646.4 KB
ID:	614198 another length of beam on one end and extend it a few more feet very easy....The uprights are heavy and do take a few guys to stand them up when assembled.....I extended mine out to 102" by just changing the hole locations in both the beam and top plate...
              Do you happen to know what size i-beam this setup uses? Also, I'm curious how much movement it would have with the back and forth of the heavy punching bag. Im sure its great for static lifting but with a 150lb weight swinging around in the middle, id think it would at least rattle quite a bit given the all of the non welded joints.

Comment

No I don't know and will not be back over to that shop tell Friday....I think it's about a 5-6" high flange by maybe 4" width........the web maybe .180 and who knows how many lbs/ft.?.It's an undersized beam perhaps metric ........If you have a Harbor freight nearby they usually have one set up in the store...........as far as movement the casters are locking.

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
                  No I don't know and will not be back over to that shop tell Friday....I think it's about a 5-6" high flange by maybe 4" width........the web maybe .180 and who knows how many lbs/ft.?.It's an undersized beam perhaps metric ........If you have a Harbor freight nearby they usually have one set up in the store...........as far as movement the casters are locking.
                  I went by the local harbor freight. The beam seems to be about 4-3/4 tall by about 3" wide so likely a similar strength to a 4w x 13. I do think that the harbor freight gantry will make quite a bit of noise if its jostled around since it has the two joints where it can be raised. It also wouldn't work as well in my carport space so I went ahead and purchased the w4 beam and other materials. Ended up costing about 700 so it will definitely be more expensive but I think it will work fine. I found a video that calculated the strength of that beam at an 8' span and it concluded that it can safely hold 13,000lbs in the center. I imagine that, even with a greater span, it should stay pretty rigid with just 100 - 600lbs. Ill report back when I get it built and its in use.

Comment

Originally posted by michos View Post
                    ...concluded that it can safely hold 13,000lbs in the center. I imagine that, even with a greater span, it should stay pretty rigid with just 100 - 600lbs. Ill report back when I get it built and its in use.
                    Remember that in dynamic loading, you are probably putting a good full ton on it at times. But that does seem sufficient.

Comment

I also built a crane, I used a 180 mm or 18 cm H-beam, 3 meters long in the middle, it has a capacity of 2500kg, or 2.5 tons, the portal is 3 meters wide. the base is 1.5 meters 150 cm wide, for the pillars I used 100 mm square box or 10cm x 3 mm thick that can withstand 4000kg compressed to 60 cm on top I put the diagonal reinforcement bolts. with high-capacity wheels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FSCN2095.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	880.9 KB
ID:	614315

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Pietromarruggio, your gantry is a tank! I went ahead and got mine built. Used the W4 x 13 beam with 4x4x3/16 columns, 3x3x3/16 for the 45 degree supports and 4x1/4 flat bar for the base. 8 - 1/2" concrete wedge anchors on each side. Turned out pretty well I think. Honestly I think I overbuilt. The beam, even at a 13' span is very solid. I imagine that it could handle 1 or 2,000lbs without an issue, much less a bouncing 150lb heavy bag. If I could do it over again I would probably use 3x3x3/16 for the columns and 2x2x1/4 for the 45 degree supports just to make it a bit less pronounced in the carport. I think the 4x4s were a bit overkill for my needs. Total cost was about $750.
                        Attached Files

Comment

the beam and column functions as a bridge, the greater stress it has to bear and the bending exerted by the load. to obviate this stress I am not an engineer, however I think I should insert a diagonal element a bolt at 3/4 of the height to better unload the load on the ground. Click image for larger version

Name:	trave.png
Views:	80
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	614382 Click image for larger version

Name:	nervatura trave.png
Views:	77
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	614384
                          Attached Files

Comment

Is that the actual gantry you built? If so I do not feel it needs any other supports. It can not deflect sideways as the walls are holding in place. As for any downward force it looks strong enough but if you do wish to add corner supports I would go with schema B.
                            MM250
                            Trailblazer 250g
                            22a feeder
                            Lincoln ac/dc 225
                            Victor O/A
                            MM200 black face
                            Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                            Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                            Arco roto-phase model M
                            Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                            Miller spectrum 875
                            30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                            Syncrowave 250
                            RCCS-14

Comment

you have to put reinforcements on it, 8 mm thick sheet metal triangles in a right-angled triangle are enough to prevent the beam-column welding joint from breaking. be careful if the structure gives way, the beam will collapse on you with the weight and the hoist. for certain jobs it would take the advice of technicians and engineers. safety first do not be reckless.

Comment

Working...
                              X