20 ft container demo suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 ft container demo suggestions

I was asked to look at a 20 ft container to cut up and remove. Can was washed down river to where it sits now, half in water, half on river bank. No easy access, by foot only through woods about 1/4 to 1/3 mile. No trails, one dry creek bed to cross with 3-4ft straight sides about 15ft across. Carry in carry out by hand. What are your thoughts on best/easiest way to cut it up?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Dumpster Mid Range.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	614155

Name:	Dumpster Long Shot.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	614156

Name:	Dumpster Close Up.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	614157
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Is it empty? Is that an open top container that's on the bottom? Any Idea of weight?........are there any environmental concerns? both to the river / creek and the access to and from?...........I'm thinking I would drag it out of there with LGP dozer and put it on a trailer or wrecker truck with a winch and haul it to the scrap yard...

Comment

If river access is possible, that might be a solution to bring in equipment and haul out the pieces.

James Bond would call in a heavy lift helicopter.

https://www.icontainers.com/help/20-foot-container/
      The dimensions of a 20-foot container are:
      • Exterior Dimensions (in feet): 20’ long x 8’ wide x 8’ 6” high
      • Exterior Dimensions (in meters): 6.10m long x 2.44m wide x 2.59m high
      • Interior Dimensions (in feet): 19’ 4” long x 7’ 9” wide x 7’ 10” high
      • Internal Dimensions (in meters): 5.898m long x 2.352m wide x 2.393m high
      • Usable Capacity: 32.6m3
      What’s the maximum load for a 20-foot container?
      A 20-foot container’s unloaded weight is 2,300 kg and can, in theory, be loaded to a maximum weight of 28 tons (25,400kg).
      Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

I'd avoid doing this job at all cost, unless you have someone else do it.
        flame cutting that stuff is toxic as all get out and it's the heaviest crap on the planet. I can't figure why that stuff is so heavy. The sides aren't that thick but crazy heavy.
        I've recently worked on a couple of these things in a level parking lot and it was NO fun.

Comment

if you are really getting after this...
          consider a gas powered saw, the same they use for concrete. Swap it for a chop saw blade.
          The paint isn't friendly for plasma or torch.

Comment

I like the K12 saw recommendation. I did some repairs on one like this last summer and it seems like I had to grind through a mile of paint as well. Definitely wouldn’t be very much fun to cut with a torch.

I hope it’s a good paying job, brother, packing that stuff out by hand is going to be a lot of work.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. Can't get a machine in there without clearing a path for it, so that is a no go. Access from opposite side of river is no good as the the land goes up maybe 50 ft very steeply. Can weighs approx 5000 pounds, is about 8ft x 8ft x 20ft, fully enclosed except one door is ripped off and a small chunk of floor is missing (wood plank floor). It's laying on it's side now. Lots of mud inside. It was recently discussed about just cutting it down to the water line. Even hauling stuff in with an atv is probably a no go due to the dry creek bed with 3-4 ft verticle side walls and several large trees that are downed enroute. This is watershed land so enviromental concerns are warrented. This is why I wanted to take a minimalist approach so I can get in, get out without jumping through hoops. The watershed commissioner agrees with this approach also as there is no funding for a large project. I told her I would look at it and at the very least give her my thoughts. I don't need the work so I can walk away at any time.

My initial thought was an excavator and drag it out but after walking in and seeing the surrounding area that is no good. So I am down to cutting on site into small pcs that can be carried out. Options I thought of 1) small genset with a sawzall and a grinder with cutoff wheels. 2) torchset with medium tanks (about 100pds each), 3) a gas powered demo saw or 4) small genset to run a small plasma cutter with built in compressor. Probably number 4 is out since I don't have either. The floor is wood plank screwed to the floor channels, the sides/roof are maybe 13/14 gauge and the corners are heavier formed "tube shaped" pcs maybe 3/16", maybe 1/4" thick? That is all I got at the moment.

MM250
              Trailblazer 250g
              22a feeder
              Lincoln ac/dc 225
              Victor O/A
              MM200 black face
              Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
              Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
              Arco roto-phase model M
              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
              Miller spectrum 875
              30a spoolgun w/wc-24
              Syncrowave 250
              RCCS-14

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
                ... there is no funding for a large project. I told her I would look at it and at the very least give her my thoughts. I don't need the work so I can walk away at any time....
                I wouldn't walk away. I would run. The simple fact is that this IS a large project.

Comment

"The watershed commissioner agrees with this approach also as there is no funding for a large project."

I would first ask just what kind of budget does she have in mind for this? and then proceed from there.........based on your description of a dry creek bed and 4 ft vertical walls what can a healthy person reasonably carry out each trip? Maybe 50-60 lbs at a time on a pack? That's only a few square ft of steel each trip and weeks of work..........not taking into account all the environmental damage created by chopping that up on site? I think the commissioner has no clue what she's asking? Give me a day or 2 with a D6 LGP dozer , 2 laborers & well cut a trail in 1500 ft.... drag it out , and then go back in and brush up the site best ya can....a year from now you'll never know anyone was there....Maybe $10k including the move in/ out..............plus disposal which may be the wild card as with that container 1/2 full of mud most recyclers may not want it so landfill might be the only option?

Or Heavy lift chopper which gets upwards of $5000 / hour.......+ in/out with a minimum plus a few laborers.........The Sky crane might be her best option?

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
                    ...Heavy lift chopper ...
                    What's the suction weight of that thing sitting in the silt? I'll bet it's WAY heavier than its listed tare weight.

Comment

Yeah that box will be heavy to get it to move at first....no telling how deep it's imbedded or how much mud it has inside...I've recovered my share of many broken down things in flood control canals / channels and getting to them and not getting stuck is one thing and getting them moving is another....broke many 2" Dia. long cable chokers while hooked to several pieces of equipment tied together on the initial pull...
                      Last edited by tarry99; 03-23-2021, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Unless there is some other reason to remove it, other than it doesn’t belong there, probably best to leave it to nature to repurpose it into the river otter hotel and resort.

Comment

Amazing what you can do with a Heavy lift chopper when the need arises and Army Corp is standing by with assets.. Oct / 89 Loma Prieta Earthquake @ the Cypress structure Oakland ,Ca. putting Iron on the structure ( TAR Picture) Click image for larger version

Name:	2014_10_18_15_05_510014.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	484.7 KB
ID:	614184

Comment

Maybe find a friend with access to C4 and blow the thing to smithereens, then you won’t need to pack it out. Bonus here would be a nice hidden fishing hole when done. I’d call this a win/win.

Comment

Maybe there is a recourse with the place that lost it in the storm? Or their insurance company? Or FEMA?

Comment

Working...
                              X