Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Hardfacing rods certainly have a different feel to them.

Leave a comment:

• Don52
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    That stuff I sent you was also pretty old, so that might have had something to do with it.

Looks good!
    I don’t think that the age of the rods that you sent had anything to do with the problem that I experienced with them. Once I figured out how to use them, the Rockmount electrodes that you sent to me worked fine. One of the electrodes would weld fine for about one inch and then extinguish. I checked with Rockmount and they said that my voltage was too high, which caused the rod to burn up a into the coating causing a deep cup on the end of the electrode. I switched from my Dynasty 200DX welder to the Lincoln 210 MP and it welded fine. (The 210 MP welder has a lower open arc voltage compared to the Dynasty.)

This time I had the opposite problem. I had to increase the arc length as I welded along, to keep the arc going out. I found that increasing the DIG function and the welding current from 125 to 130 amps helped. The longitudinal welds on the edge of the skid were the last beads that I made and they looked much better than the previous ones. (I didn’t try it but perhaps the Dynasty, with the higher open arc voltage might have worked better.)

-Don

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    That stuff I sent you was also pretty old, so that might have had something to do with it.

Looks good!

Leave a comment:

• Don52
    replied
    So I finally stick welded some Stoody XHC hardfacing rods on Ray’s skid. I made a solid pad of hardface on the wear area shown above. I also added a bead of hardface longitudinally on the edges of the skid. I did this because the wear was most severe on the edge of the skid.

Skid showing the hardface that I added.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1529.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.5 KB ID:	620396 It took me a while to get nice looking beads. At $2 per electrode, I didn’t want to practice too much. The electrodes also behaved very differently compared to the Rockmount hardfacing electrodes that I previously used, which Ryan sent to me.

Here is the bottom view of both skids.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1528.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.5 KB ID:	620397
    I painted the skids so they look nice. I used my 1000 watt shop light to help bake the paint.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1530.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.8 KB ID:	620398

-Don
    Last edited by Don52; 05-04-2022, 06:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Good deal, Don! Glad you could help your buddy out like that.

Leave a comment:

• Don52
    replied
    That stuff ain’t cheap.
    True, but the hardfaced skid has lasted nearly two seasons. The hardfaced skid could go longer, but I would rather not wear the parent metal. The original skid without hardface only lasted one season. I don’t think that I will need very many rods to hardface the area in the red box. I did purchase the hardfacing rods on EBay, so they weren’t too expensive. Ray said that he will drop off the skids next time he is in the lower peninsula of Michigan, which should be in a few weeks. Keep in mind that the upper peninsula gets a ton of snow. Here is a picture of Ray plowing his driveway last week. If you look carefully you can see one of the skids.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E4DECEB8-55FA-41DC-AABE-B57B73633D80.jpg Views:	0 Size:	785.4 KB ID:	619684

-Don

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    That stuff ain’t cheap.

Leave a comment:

• Don52
    replied
    I bought 10# of hardface rods that are 5 points harder on the Rc scale so they should wear even slower.

-Don

Leave a comment:

• Don52
    replied
    Ray took off the skids for inspection.

Now that I know where the skids wear, I can apply a continuous pad of hardface where it will do the most good. The wear hasn’t reached the base metal of the skids yet. Ray said that due to the larger size of the skids, he can’t tip the skids any more to better equalize the wear.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	8CEAB82F-573B-4652-942A-2C1E04E092BA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.44 MB ID:	619679
    -Don
    Last edited by Don52; 03-03-2022, 07:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Looks cold.

Leave a comment:

• Don52
    replied
    So far the skid is working well. the larger area doesn't dig into the dirt portion of driveway and the hardface doesn't gouge the asphalt part of the driveway.

10. Trying out skids
    Click image for larger version

Name:	10. Trying out skids.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	612668

Leave a comment:

• Don52
    replied
    That’s about as real of a test as you can get.
    The upper peninsula of Michigan, where my friend and customer lives, gets a lot of snow, so the skids will get a good workout. Thanks for all of your help.

-Don

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    That’s about as real of a test as you can get.

Leave a comment:

• Don52
    replied
    Ya, they don’t give that hard facing rod away. Next time you do yours, give a shout, if I have some hardfacing rod on hand, I’d be happy to send you a pound or so to make your repair.
    My friend and customer was back in town for Thanksgiving, so I asked him to bring back the skids, so I could try out the hardfacing rods that you sent to me. The original skid was worn out in one season. We will see how long the hardface skids last. The new skid had more surface area than the original as shown below.
    8. New and old skid
    Click image for larger version  Name:	8. New and old skid.jpg Views:	0 Size:	215.9 KB ID:	612238
    9. Hardfacing on skid
    Click image for larger version  Name:	9. Hardfacing on skid.jpg Views:	0 Size:	204.2 KB ID:	612239
    -Don

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Heck ya man, we can link up. Sugarland is on the southwest side of Houston, that’s about 100 miles. I used drive there and back once a week to play beer league hockey.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X