6 Caster Layout : Welding Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Caster Layout : Welding Table

Picked up a used welding table. Just shy of 4/8’. It has three legs on each 8’ side. I want to install 6 casters. I ‘think’ the correct way would be two rigid casters on one end and the rest swivel. This way it would work like a four caster rig with two rigid and two swivel at opposite ends.

I’ve see the rigid in the center configuration but that’s not going to work for me. Table is too heavy for this.

Anyone done it the way I’m proposing before?

(FYI the wheels will only touch the slab when I need to move it. The levelers will keep the wheels off the ground when the table is in use.)
    =======================
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
    Francisco Goya

I like your way unless you need a swivel on every leg. Pros and cons. But if I had two rigid ones, they'd be at one of the ends.

Comment

I have a 4'x8'x1/2" welding table with six 1 1/2" sq. tube legs. I put swivel casters on the four corners and instead of wheels on the center legs, I used 1" threaded stock with a free spinning "foot" on the bottom, a 1/4" sliding lever for raising/lowering through the threaded stock and a matching 1" nut in a cage at the bottom of the leg. With the table "parked" and the threaded center legs down on the floor to support the center but not so low that the table teeters, the table is rock-steady for any purpose. With the center legs raised, the table rolls (pretty) easily in any direction. I know for a fact (friend's experience) that it rolls easier and more control-ably than a table with 6 casters. No matter what, I wouldn't use fixed casters anywhere.
      Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
      Miller S-22A wirefeeder
      Bernard 400A "Q" gun
      Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
      CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
      Hypertherm Powermax 30
      O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

Comment

There are castors available that are both swivel and fixed, you just lock them into the fixed position you want and go to town. I guess it all depends on how much you plan to move your table around to know if it’s worth the cost.

Comment

I've built a few welding tables and chassis fixtures and right now building my last table hopefully , that is 4'x 8' x3/4" and I don't like to have 6 casters...........Why? cause first off your table at those 6 points have to all be exactly the same elevation and likewise your floor also has to be near flat otherwise the table will have a mind of its own when trying to push it around and navigate those dips and high spots.....also......do yourself a favor and buy a decent rated caster for the weight you'll be packing around......a 4 x 8 table with a 1/2" plate will easily weigh 700 lbs empty..........as Ryan mentioned above , buy them with brakes and the lockout feature to either allow for swivel or locked in one of 4 directions..........also and probably most important is your choice of wheel size and wheel composition........on 700 lbs a 5" to 6" wheel is just about right and depending on your floor and its roughness the wheel composition can make all the difference in rolling resistance.........with the old heavy cast iron wheels being the worst for rolling resistance ............and last I build all of mine with acme threaded screw jacks.......to level if necessary Click image for larger version

Name:	screwjacks.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	821.4 KB
ID:	606747 and or to make the table stay where you want it.

Comment

Yes, the screw jacks on my table's center legs are acme threaded with the same kind of foot as those in tarry99's post. Mine have a built-in handle for raising/lowering instead of requiring wrench for a hex nut. It appears Tarry99's solution is similar to mine except his (may?) use four screw-jacks on the corners instead of two on mine at the center.
            Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
            Miller S-22A wirefeeder
            Bernard 400A "Q" gun
            Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
            CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
            Hypertherm Powermax 30
            O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmaxer View Post
              except his (may?) use four screw-jacks on the corners instead of two on mine at the center.
              Yes everything I build ends up with 4 screw jacks to level the table when necessary.........especially on the chassis fixture where it has to remain stationary and level at all times until your ready to pull it off...Also on one end of the jacks I just weld HEX bar stock to drive it............in the pic.......on the right is 1" Acme Thread with 1" hex bar stock doing the driving for the chassis fixture.............the parts on the left are all 1.250 x 5 Acme thread and bar stock.........much more robust for my heavier welding bench that is still in the making Click image for larger version  Name:	screwjacks2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	852.6 KB ID:	606754

Comment

Four casters, one on each corner. Center legs just use an adjustable foot. Casters should all swivel but also lock in position if wanted. No need for brakes if you use adjustable feet on all legs. Large solid casters are a must. I have cast iron ones on mine and it works fine on concrete, Just sweep the floor before you move it.
                MM250
                Trailblazer 250g
                22a feeder
                Lincoln ac/dc 225
                Victor O/A
                MM200 black face
                Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                Arco roto-phase model M
                Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                Miller spectrum 875
                30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                Syncrowave 250
                RCCS-14

Comment

Thanks for all the good detail. I’m going to try the four corner option and observe. I’ll use two static and two swivel because I have some four swivel carts and tables and all are a bench to steer. The table already has adjustable levelers.
                  =======================
                  Miller 211 AutoSet
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                  Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
                  Francisco Goya

Comment

I made these for one of my lathes, that is a 1'' all thread that I cut to size, starting at the top, that nut is welded to the all thread, the next nut is a jam not followed by for lack of knowledge for the word a collar, all thread, jam nut under it, the foot at the very bottom nut is welded to a washer on a pad, you can see the caster to the right, once the lathe is level jam the top not and it is stable, don't know if that is proper but works good. (had another right side)
                    Attached Files

Comment

I like my tables with 4 wheels, that way at least 3 wheels are on the ground at all times. As stated earlier get wheels that are rated for table plus whatever you pile on top. My casters are rated at 1250 each, there are Albions with Polyurethane wheels and roll real nice on concrete floors. The table looks small under the Explorer body but it's a 4' x 8'.

Comment

Working...
                      X