Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I have that exact phase-a-matic on the other Bridgeport at the combined shop and the one a size bigger running an old Axelson lathe. I just moved them to the new shop and the heavy duty one for the Axelson had some goo on the outside, so I cracked it open and the two capacitors inside had released the schmoo. I’ve been trying to add pictures on here but for some reason it’s not working out. Anyway, $67 a piece....dang you grainger!!....., a little soldering and it was back in business. I’ll probably go with another static converter in my little shop simply because they’re so much more affordable and I doubt I’ll be building battleship parts. I may build a rotary phase converter, but it all hinges on whether or not I can get a good price on a motor....as in for free.

Leave a comment:

• tarry99
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Very clean. Mine isn’t near that good of shape. You’re right too, 2hp. Do you have 3ph there or using some sort of converter? The specs on the motor plate seem a little off to me. 56amps it says. For a 2hp motor? Make sense to anyone?

Sadly no tooling. But I did buy a took chest this morning so I can start spending a mint on the stuff.
    No 3 phase here.........just a small phase converter that I bought back in the eighty's that keeps on ticking...If you do buy a DRO set before you install them check where on the machine you can put the scales as the X&Y axis limit switches for the power feeds occupy similar space on either the left or right or front or back........so decide where the scales can go and be out of the way first and then move to the limit switches...On my mill I put the X scale's up front and traditionally most put them in the rear..........but, beings this is a one man shop and I have a small overhead hoist above the table I'm not as concerned as others might be lifting a 100 lb vise over the scales and onto the table....I like them up front where they stay much cleaner and away from coolants and chips ...........Auctions and even garage sales are your best friend for finding used tooling as the old dudes retire.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Upon closer inspection after I took a picture to post up over the unbelievable amperage requirement, I see it’s 5.6amps. That’s slightly better. Dirty tag, low light, I’m hungry....those are all my excuses to avoid the eye doctor....

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Very clean. Mine isn’t near that good of shape. You’re right too, 2hp. Do you have 3ph there or using some sort of converter? The specs on the motor plate seem a little off to me. 56amps it says. For a 2hp motor? Make sense to anyone?

Sadly no tooling. But I did buy a took chest this morning so I can start spending a mint on the stuff.

Leave a comment:

• tarry99
    replied
    Nice piece of equipment to have around...........Had mine since new about 1982....Hope ya got some tooling with it.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    The one I’ve been using starts with a static converter. I’ll probably build a rotary phase converter for this one.

The power feeds that were on it were after market. I’ll probably get some for it eventually, but for now I’ll just go with the manual. I’ll put a DRO on it before the power feeds.

Leave a comment:

• tarry99
    replied
    Normally 2 horse.......never seen a 3 hp on one............3 phase is normal also and they respond fine to phase converters , were the power feeds Bridgeport or aftermarket?.........once the Bridgeport OEM stuff takes a dump it's hardly worth it to fix them....parts & cost is high.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Series I, I think. 3hp variable speed. Looks like it might be missing a few parts on the traverse. It had auto feeds on the X & Y, so I’ll need to figure that out. Had to take the head off to shoehorn it into the shop, it already had the motor off, so I may as well give both of those a once over. I’ve never tore one of these down, but I never broke a lathe down until my south bend either. It’s good to know what’s turning when you make it do things anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Good deal!

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    No big momma lathe deal, but moved in a Bridgeport instead, so it’s still a win.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Yeah, it ain’t over yet, but there are two other machines that I could get, both much smaller and more realistic to the size of my shop but much bigger than what I have now. We’ll see how it goes. The big rockland is ready to go, it’s just supersized for me. The other two are excellent machines but need some work to be full strength.

Leave a comment:

• Ltbadd
    replied
    sorry to hear that Ryan, hope it falls your way...

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    This deal be put on hold. Got canceled late Monday, not sure what the deal is now. I already had equipment on rental to move it.

Just the way it goes sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• Ltbadd
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    ...besides, I don’t think the ancient Egyptians had forklifts.

Adventure awaits, boys.
    Well how could they, what with all the sand over there?

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Unforeseen events notwithstanding, the rockland is getting strong armed into the shop on Tuesday.

I just got done moving a 16” swing 42” bed axelson with some round stock, a couple of pry bars and a few cold beers just yesterday...besides, I don’t think the ancient Egyptians had forklifts.

Adventure awaits, boys.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X