No announcement yet.

blacksmith forge do it yourself tips suggestions examples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When ever I hear talk about anvils it has me wanting to give ACME a call and buy one. Then I remember how much effort is involved in swinging a big hammer, I find something else to do instead?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1048.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	603358

Name:	50 pound trip hammer, Brandon Machine Works.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	603359 With one of these bad boys and I might however think about a forge.

Comment

You ain’t kidding. Swinging that hammer is fun for about 10 minutes before the allure of smithing becomes less attractive. It’s still pretty cool, but it’s a lot of work.

Comment

Noel, have you considered the fun and joys of cooperage? You can blow hours attending craft fairs trying to sell firkins and lard tubs to slack jawed people.
        You can even spend time rehabbing that slake tub. Looks to be missing at least 1 hoop, and a bit of rush might help it too. Good coat of pitch on the inside while yer at it too.
        You can even hamer up a set of irons.

Comment

I don't think I'm the guy who could think that up, but looking at it, I think I'm a guy who could build one.

Nadda to that Franz, lost and mostly left the art and craft stuff ages ago. Only thing I might claim was I was doing it before it became popular. Sculpture, candle holders, wine racks, tables and chairs. Frames and signage. But it doesn't pay worth a crap. Starving artist is right. I'd rather go mindless under a helmet burning wire.
          But it does raise an interesting mention as far as this topic goes. The popularity of beating things? I've beat my knee, fingers, even my own head...I'm not good with a hammer.

I took that picture at Fort Edmonton Park 2007, quite a while ago. It's not a shameless plug to come visit our city, but that event was a local AWS chapter event and those can be an interesting time.

Name:	IMG_1055.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	603363I'll take a modern welding shop over the good old days. But it was interesting to visit and a reminder of how hard life was back then.

Comment

Fine looking ham & egg cooker there. Properly carboned it will do wonders.

The wood D handle also makes a nice teeting device for a kid.

Comment

Wisdom is the daughter of experience .. thanks for your advice

Comment

Originally posted by pietromarruggio View Post
                today I made this brazier this little furnace seems to cook chestnuts, what do you think, how could I improve it to make it functional? what do you think the use or throw it in the wreckage?
                Add a tuyere and a fan, and you'll be in business. That, and some coal. (Or charcoal -- see youtube for how to make it.)

Squirrel cage blowers can be found on ebay. I think mine is 250 cfm if I remember right. A cheap foot switch for the blower is almost a must. Mine was like $10 at HFT. For air control, you can make a flap on a pivot to close off the intake for when you want some, but not all, of that CFM. (Cheaper, easier and just as effective as jacking around trying to find a variable speed blower or shaded pole fan motor to put a speed control on.)
                Last edited by Helios; 10-15-2019, 11:43 AM.

Comment

I read these forge posts over the years, and often fight back laughter. I mean really, since the beginning of the iron age men have massaged iron and later steel to their will with little more than a big rock, a hammer and a hole dug into the ground for their forge.
                  I also time to time wander into a pile of "Junque" some bored smith had assembled, turned into his 'man cave' and then soon after a storage area with vent to stave off Divorce. Some actually offer to sell me their magnificent pile from Coal Forge.com, and I resist all such offers nicely.

Time to time I recall Jim 'PawPaw' Wilson and his half finished book on the Colonial Smith he never got to finish before galvanize killed him. PawPaw watched Death coming, and used his last hours to write warning men following to not do what he had done.
                  Smithing ain't a joke, and what you don't know will sure kill or hurt you.

Now all you kids run out and see if you can prove me wrong. I can build a quite nice forge pan and hearth in a 2 x 3 wood box employing creek mud for the refractory. I'll even give you the warning to dry, smash and sift the mud before shaping and drying it or it will spall all over the place.

That said,I have no idea why any beginner wants to build a coal forge to start with in 2019. Coal is a whole education unto itself and a pain to work with. It's also expensive, and it STINKS. You gotta work a whole lot of iron thru a forge for coal to be the chosen fuel.

Up to forge welding, which you AIN'T gonna accomplish in less than a year, propane/air + a dozen firebricks will give you a sufficient forge to build a couple knives and a few chisels a whole lot cheaper than 200 pounds of coal.
                  Please, don't pay a lick of attention to what I say, I only have 66 years experience since I started getting out of bed at 0400 to light and tend fire so Bill Ecker could roll in at 8 get the generator producing acetylene and weld up a casting. Wages back then SUCKED. Pay was 1 6 ounce Coke from the machine.

Your results may vary, and there are a dozen sellers on the Inturdnet waiting to sell you overpriced products such as blowers guaranteed to empty your wallet.

Comment

The OP asked how to improve his wheel burner. I told him. It's pretty simple: You add an L-shaped piece of pipe to the bottom (tuyere) and a fan. I've done this. Have you, Franz, in your centuries of experience? Perhaps you could show us some pics of your creek mud forge, or tell the OP how to make his wheel forge into a propane burner.

Yes, green coal stinks until it's coked. This is why you do it outside, not in your kitchen – y'know, somewhere close to the anvil, where the falling scale won't put blisters in the carpet or linoleum or burn your house down.

"Coal is a whole education unto itself" ... hmm ... never tried it, have you, Franz? Because I had it doing what I wanted it to do within 20 minutes of sparking my first coal fire. Yes, you should use blacksmithing coal if you can find it. (I use stuff from the Pocohontas vein) but we're not making open-hearth puddled steel here. We're heating steel to maybe 2500°F tops. You know, like welding. (Gasp!)

I think I paid $20 or $30 for my squirrel cage blower. Some guys reportedly use old vacuum cleaner fans.

I put together my whole forge for probably less than $75 or $100. There are plenty of websites out there to help you, OP. iForgeIron.com is a good one, as is anvilfire.com. This isn't rocket surgery.

"Smithing ain't a joke, and what you don't know will sure kill or hurt you." Golly, I don't care who you are, but that right there is just FUNNY! It also makes it abundantly clear to me that even in his many centuries of experience, Franz hasn't done a single lick of blacksmithing in his life. Anyone who had done it even once wouldn't say something so fretfully silly.

Comment

thank you for your valuable advice, in fact I have to complete the forge I do not know if it is wood burning like a brazier or using a large propane gas torch to heat metals, if you would have photos maybe drawings and useful information I would be infinitely grateful again for the right suggestions and clarifications

Comment

Working...
                      X