Custom Pin Spanner Wrench for John Deere Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Pin Spanner Wrench for John Deere Cylinder

I built a custom pin spanner for my friend John, so that he could replace the piston seals on his John Deere backhoe. I made it from 1 inch stock, which I have kicking around. We tried to buy a standard one, but unfortunately the ancient John Deere tractor didn’t have a standard distance between holes and the diameter of the holes were also larger than standard. Fortunately the one size spanner that we built, will work on all of the cylinders on the backhoe.

1. John Deere backhoe

Click image for larger version

Name:	1. John Deere backhoe.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	602912
    2. Close up of ram

Name:	2. Closeup of ram.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	602913
    3. Ready for welding

Name:	3. Ready for welding.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	602914
    4. First Weld

Name:	4. First Weld.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	602915
    5. Second weld

Name:	5. Second weld.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	602916
    Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Lincoln LE 31 MP
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Clausing/Colchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Here are the rest of the pictures:

6. Drilling hole for dwl pin

Name:	6. Drilling hole for dwl pin.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	602918
    7. Reaming hole for dwl pin

Name:	7. Reaming hole ofr dwl pin.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	602919
    8. Dwl pins pressed in

Name:	8. Dwl pins pressed in.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	602920
    9. Handle attached

Name:	9. Handle attached.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	602921
    Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln LE 31 MP
    Lincoln 210 MP
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Comment

My friend John tried it out. Here is what he had to say:

Works great. Tried it on the cylinder in the picture and was able to spin the cap on the cylinder with just a little effort. Tool felt very strong like I would be able to really put a lot of force on it if needed.
      14. Spanner in use

Name:	14. Spanner in use.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	602924
      15. Close up of Spanner

Name:	15. Close up of Spanner.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	602925

The ram looks dented in the above picture. It is just drops of water on the ram. Here is a picture after John wiped it off:

16. Ram wiped off

Name:	16. Ram wiped off.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	602926
      Miller Thunderbolt
      Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
      Miller Dynasty 200DX
      Lincoln LE 31 MP
      Lincoln 210 MP
      16" DuAll Saw
      15" Drill Press
      20 Ton Arbor Press
      Bridgeport

Comment

Nice spanner! Bet it work s a lot better than a punch and hammer that I tend to use when the seals go out on my 2 post lifts.
        J.Caraher
        Wide Open Throttle Technologies (WOT-Tech), Pompano Beach FL
        Miller Sync 300,Hobart 190
        RogueFab pneumatic, Hossfeld Manual
        Kitamura CNC, Bridgeport 2j
        TunerPRO, HPTuners, AEM, Megasquirt, DynoJet
        NASA Racing Official/Driver

YouTube Link, Instagram Link, FaceBook Link

Comment

In the spirit of this thread, I'll share the adjustable pin wrench I made for rebuilding the cylinders on my Bobcat skid loader. I'm a cheap SOB and wasn't interested in spending the money for the real deal. As a retired industrial maintenance tech, I've seen way too many cylinder caps beaten within an inch of their lives with hammers, punches, chisels, etc. Not as nice as yours Don, but it did the trick.

Comment

Couple things - When you make a tool like this, especially if someone else will use it, NEVER use pipe threaded into a coupling for the handle. Some gorilla will snap the handle off because he didn't use the tool properly, and immediately after snapping it haul the tool to the beer bar to explain to everybody in town your work sucks. Make it slip fit with a pin hole holding the handle in and rivet the pin.

Secondly, U shapes like wrenches an, do and will open up under load, and knuckles will suffer. Same beer bar will be involved, and your rep suffers. 2 more holes and add a closer strap across the jaws.. In today's world, make a video of instructing the user how the wrench is to be used, you generally gotta tell him anyhow.

Item 3, weld up a proper attitude adjuster, pin at a 45° angle to the shaft punch or Parker .401 adapter and you can use an air gun to spin them suckers loose.

Remember the guy using that tool is gonna whip it like a borrowed mule, so make accordingly.

What you mean "ancient John Deere"- I got a buck says that's a Yanmar wearing Woods backhoe & loader, circa 1984.

Comment

Originally posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
              Nice spanner! Bet it work s a lot better than a punch and hammer that I tend to use when the seals go out on my 2 post lifts.
              Thanks.

Originally posted by Metjunkie View Post
              In the spirit of this thread, I'll share the adjustable pin wrench I made for rebuilding the cylinders on my Bobcat skid loader. I'm a cheap SOB and wasn't interested in spending the money for the real deal. As a retired industrial maintenance tech, I've seen way too many cylinder caps beaten within an inch of their lives with hammers, punches, chisels, etc. Not as nice as yours Don, but it did the trick.
              I have a bunch of pin spanners with varying degrees of robustness. Due to the age of the back hoe I was worried that the cap might be rusted in place so I built a fairly robust one.

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
              NEVER use pipe threaded into a coupling for the handle. Some gorilla will snap the handle off because he didn't use the tool properly, and immediately after snapping it haul the tool to the beer bar to explain to everybody in town your work sucks. Make it slip fit with a pin hole holding the handle in and rivet the pin..
              I agree. I have noticed that 3/4" pipe is fairly thin wall in the area where it is threaded. We used a piece of threaded pipe to guide a ground bar into the ground with a jack hammer setup shown below. The threaded rod broke four times. I should have welded the pipe to a sleeve.

Name:	IMG_4500.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	602964

Secondly, U shapes like wrenches an, do and will open up under load, and knuckles will suffer. Same beer bar will be involved, and your rep suffers. 2 more holes and add a closer strap across the jaws.. In today's world, make a video of instructing the user how the wrench is to be used, you generally gotta tell him anyhow.
              I'll keep this in mind for a heavy duty pin spanner.

Item 3, weld up a proper attitude adjuster, pin at a 45° angle to the shaft punch or Parker .401 adapter and you can use an air gun to spin them suckers loose. Remember the guy using that tool is gonna whip it like a borrowed mule, so make accordingly.
              I don't follow this one. Do you have a picture or sketch?

What you mean "ancient John Deere"- I got a buck says that's a Yanmar wearing Woods backhoe & loader, circa 1984.
              You are correct. John said that it was from the 80's.

Thank you for taking time to post all of your comments it makes the thread more interesting and it gives me another perspective to consider. I learn something every day.

-Don
              Miller Thunderbolt
              Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
              Miller Dynasty 200DX
              Lincoln LE 31 MP
              Lincoln 210 MP
              16" DuAll Saw
              15" Drill Press
              20 Ton Arbor Press
              Bridgeport

Comment

Don, I certainly understand the rusted caps thing. I bought my Bobcat new, so the cylinders had never been apart since assembly. I had to put a little heat around the cylinder, then a couple taps with the dead blow and they easily unscrewed. Found some loctite on the threads from the factory. I'm also curious about the "proper attitude adjuster" Franz mentioned.

Comment

Kids, well lets see what I can do

Tube is usually ½" pipe which accomodates a straight Parker .401 driving punch
                  __ _________________________
                  ()___________________________\ \
                  \ \ <set angle of punch to tube based on your need, generally around 60°
                  \ \ This end fits the hole in the gland-.005±

Don't even think of hardening the punch and bet the weld is going to break even using 309ss.

Also be aware most cylinder glands are installed with Locktite or similar to keep cylinder shops and manufacturers in business. Snow plow cylinders are locked in with SOLDER. It melts at 600°
                  DON't hold small cylinders in a vise, Pin & clamp to a bench or fixture. Vises distort.

Shoot any sumbeach using a pipe wrench on a rod, use a rod wrench or sleep under the porch.

USE A RIVETING GUN or install a regulator on the gun so you can feather it for this job.

Don't bother saving the tool after use, let somebody swipe it cause then it'll break when he's using it.

Slotted gland nuts respond best to a reground cape chisel with a rounded edge. You gotta do many of them make an air gun adapter replacing the round pin with a rectangle that fits the slot.

I got no idea how Bob snuck in and screwed up that fine CAD drawing.
                  Last edited by Franz©; 10-05-2019, 08:47 PM.

Comment

BTW, 2 cylinder engine is pre 82, 3 cylinders is post 82.

Comment

Working...
                    X