Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced_Firebird
    replied
    Got an Everlast plasma cutter a few years ago, last about half that, otherwise this job could have gone a lot faster. Had to cut 1/8" and 3/16 1018 with these countours on a 4" hand angle grinder....need to finish restoring the Kitamura, then it would be real CAD/CAM

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    If I showed you guys the stack of templates I'm hanging on to you'd think I invented the idea, had ideas to do it again, or was just plain hoarding paper. Just curious, what's it for or hiding? Extra points for the painting by the way.

Leave a comment:

• Forced_Firebird
    replied
    Thanks Ryan!

Roll cages? I love building them, but the competition this close to Miami is difficult - everyone's answer to my prices is "I can have it done in Hialeah for $400". So, I just get word of mouth jobs from people who have seen the work my shop produces. It's just me and 2 very part time guys in a 2500sf shop - rent down here has finally hit $14/sf/yr - only saving grace is I have been here for 9yr, so I have a little break. They look at me funny when I tell them it's $40k/yr to keep my doors open, and I don't get a dime until the shop bills are paid.

This is a 370z, so the space and angle behind the seats won't allow a 1.75" bar to hit the floor without an additional bends to keep the main hoop at the B-pillar angle. We are only allowed 4 bends equaling 180° +/- 10°, and these coupes need to have another bend, or the hoop will hit the floor 8" into the door opening and foul the seat. I have another going to come in for a fix, the other local builder doesn't follow the rule book and it's illegal. They added another bend at the bottom where I just put a plinth block (which is legal). My plan for that car is just to encase the hoop from the 4th/5th bends to the floor and mimic this job.

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    Been using that system on the JenAir burning/grinding table. Cat Assisted Design worked well for 20 years, but Gremlin wet to the Bridge and my workload increased.

I also like PAD but they get real nasty about pulling them nice politician campaign signs up for the cardboard & wire. Some kind of Law about it as a matter of fact.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    That’s my game too. Good show, sir.

Leave a comment:

• Forced_Firebird
    started a topic How to: CAD without a computer

How to: CAD without a computer

CAD = Cardboard Aided Design hehe

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191004_193640_743.jpg
Views:	353