rocket stove project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rocket stove project

These things are pretty simple and this kit makes it even easier. I got one because it peaked my interest and I thought maybe I could get my nephews in the shop to build one.

I don’t have any kids, but those of you that do have young kids, this would probably be a cool little project to do together and it doesn’t cost much.

A while back I found this young guy online that documents his way building a fab business. He also uses his plasma table to make project kits and sells them on his website. I bought the rocket stove, and this is my Don52-like story.....

This is the kit. It comes in flat sheets shipped in a bubble wrapped envelope. You cut the pieces apart and clean them up. I chose the thickest model he offers, 10ga.
    Attached Files

Comment

Guess I could’ve started with this picture of how it arrives in the mail....
      Attached Files

Comment

This kit isn’t laser cut with tabs and slots, so it helps to have some common sense on how to proceed. The parts aren’t absolutely perfect, which makes it more enjoyable if you asked my opinion. You’ll need to clean up the dross and mill scale. I chose to tig weld this just because it’s America and I decided I wanted to. I did make three mig welds towards the end though. These two pictures show the inside “ash tray” installed before I closed up the sides. Probably didn’t need to weld the whole thing down it’s length, but again, I just felt like it.
        Attached Files

Comment

All tacked up and the corners locked in. One thing I didn’t consider was the heat in this shop when I turned all my fans off since it was giving me holy **** on the shielding gas. It’s starting to cool down here though, only got up to 103 today....
          Attached Files

Comment

Almost done. All the welding done, just have to throw some high heat paint on it....painting is my favorite....

I sprayed a coat on the bottom tonight, probably won’t get back to it until Day after tomorrow, so I’ll throw up a picture or three of it finished later in the week. I might even give it a test run.
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice..........Now turn it on!

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                A while back I found this young guy online that documents his way building a fab business. He also uses his plasma table to make project kits and sells them on his website. I bought the rocket stove, and this is my Don52-like story.....
                Ryan, give us this guy's website link...

Richard

Comment

I’d turn it on for ya, tarry, but I got the economy kit. It’s dual squirrel powered, squirrels not included. The deluxe model has a built in battery compartment....

Here’s the home page:

https://www.42fab.com/

Comment

I quoted building these for a local guy who sells them. Comes apart to fit in an ammo can which comes with it for storage/travel. He was building them himself when I quoted it. Did not get it so I assume he still does them himself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rocket-Stov...oAAOSw3GddZSwJ

Does it look like it is cut on a plasma table or just templates that he runs the plasma torch around?

Here is the link for Ryan's stove. https://www.42fab.com/weld-it-yourself/rocketstove
                    Last edited by MMW; 09-05-2019, 05:34 AM.
                    MM250
                    Trailblazer 250g
                    22a feeder
                    Lincoln ac/dc 225
                    Victor O/A
                    MM200 black face
                    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                    Arco roto-phase model M
                    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                    Miller spectrum 875
                    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                    Syncrowave 250
                    RCCS-14

Comment

It could be plasma cut by hand with a template, some of the cuts do appear to be less consistent than other plasma table cuts I’ve seen, but I know those machines aren’t necessarily laser beam straight either. I’m fairly certain this guy at least has a plasma table due to the signage work he does.

So, to answer your question, I’m not sure. If that’s even an answer.

One thing that was made apparent during this build is that I need to get on building that tig water cooler one of the fine men on this forum sent me the parts for. That 17 air cooled torch doesn’t get air cooled very fast.

Comment

Finally got it completely painted.

Haven’t burned it yet. Might get around to it on the second Tuesday of next week.

I think I’m going to order three or four of these and try to get my nephews out to the shop and away from the video games.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X